Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bob Dylan Thread

Amusing things Bob has said on stage

http://expectingrain.com/jokes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    That vid with grizzly is great lol.
    I'd never heard of him. just thought it was neat to observe Bob doing a little socializing

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    why would I be offended if you got a chuckle out of something I said? I don't live on the Left coast. do you know what a maverick is, Hoss? in this case, #2. And I thought it would be obvious that this thread is a lighter side of Bob Dylan.

Full Definition of MAVERICK

1: an unbranded range animal; especially : a motherless calf
    2: an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party
    I understand the definition. But that term has certain connotations these days, in light of self-proclaimed "mavericks." Even if you aren't a "left-coaster."

I honestly wasn't sure if you were one of those thin-skinned not-left-coasters who couldn't see the humor in it.

I didn't expect you to take offense in my statement that there was no offense intended.

indeed.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I understand the definition. But that term has certain connotations these days, in light of self-proclaimed "mavericks." Even if you aren't a "left-coaster."

I honestly wasn't sure if you were one of those thin-skinned not-left-coasters who couldn't see the humor in it.

I didn't expect you to take offense in my statement that there was no offense intended.

indeed.
    In the world of music, Dylan is/has always been a maverick. Even in high school. I'm apparently out of the 'certain connotations these days' loop.

Nothing anybody at PE says surprises me, other than that someone loves Toto. It's pretty difficult to offend me.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    In the world of music, Dylan is/has always been a maverick. Even in high school. I'm apparently out of the 'certain connotations these days' loop.

Nothing anybody at PE says surprises me, other than that someone loves Toto. It's pretty difficult to offend me.
    Totally agree. FYI to the rest here, we had a PM and I explained that my reference was to all of those self-proclaimed "mavericks" and "rogues" who are anything but what they proclaim to be. That's why I chuckled. If "rebel" had been used, I would not have chuckled and we would be wasting your time with this.

Yes Dylan was certainly a maverick/rogue/rebel/whatever. But, he discarded that persona many, many lives ago, and chose to move on. I suggest we do the same.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

No hard feelings here... Hope this thread can play on.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

I was never a fan of Bob growing up but I was familiar with his early stuff. My brother was listening to Bob Dylan in 1965 when I was still listening to She Loves You Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!. A couple years ago I was at a Barns & Noble and found a boatload of Bob albums in the bargain bin. I got completely sucked in and listened to Bob Dylan exclusivley for about a month or so. I have everything from his first album to Blobd On Blond (or whichever album came before John Wesley Hardin). On the advice of many here I bought "Blood On The Tracks." For whatever reason I just didn't care much for it. I still have it so I'll have to revisit it one day. My Favorite Dylan albums are Bringing It All Home and Highway 61.

Yeah, I'm one of those who never took Bob seriously, until I started paying attention. (Call it intellectual laziness on my part.) My first purchase was a bootleg of the famous Carnegie Hall show from '64, which was later released in the Bootleg Series. Fucking amazing! I now have tons of his music and can't seem to get enough.

Recently, a dying friend gave me a several white label promos that he bought years ago at a flea market. Beautiful condition, like they were never played.

Other than hearing PPM's 'Blowin in the Wind" is a department store as a kid, finding the 45 and wondering who B Dylan was, in high school, a friend lent me Greatest Hits Vol. 2. I took me a couple of weeks just to get beyond Side 1 (of 4). I just fell in love with it. Been a Dylan fan ever since.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Nobody in here complaining about his Chrysler ad?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Could Dylan be the next Cal Worthington?
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe he did it for free and just an automobile/economic patriot.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/bus...he-5198885.php

I didn't have a problem with it. I like Chrysler products and have driven them since the 80's. I love Bob too so It was a win win for me! Plus it was a decent commercial. Dylan occasionally steps out and does an ad or two. Remember the Victoria's Secret ad a few years ago? It gets Dylan's face in front of people who might not otherwise know who he is. I also think there is about to be a big explosion of Dylan releases on the way. New BL series, 30th Anniversary re-release and who knows what else he may have up his sleeve. I'll have to pop over to Expecting Rain and see what the punters have to say about the ad.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

That Chrysler commercial was my fav of the super bowl...!

Always rated his 60s stuff highly and got more seriously into it a few years ago. Various other good songs in the 70s, and I also love 'Blood On The Tracks' and some of 'Desire'. After that period I'm not that bothered, if I'm honest...although I do like some of 'Oh Mercy'.

Basically everything from 'Freewheelin' through and including 'Nashville Skyline' is 5-star worthy for me. A standard that only The Beatles equal in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I haven't seen either one.

Agreed, it was great!

I just watched in on YT. I agree with you guys.

Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 02-03-2014 at 02:51 PM.
    Still alive and well...

"Bob Dylan’s forgotten pro-Israel song, revisited"

http://www.timesofisrael.com/bob-dyl...ong-revisited/

The complete Chrysler ad

I spent over an hour driving yesterday afternoon and because of Bob's 75th birthday, the NPR dj was spinning nothing but Dylan and Dylan covers. Pretty good music for driving back roads.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I mentioned on the Country thread that I recently got John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline. I've heard 'em both a few times over the last few days. Ah, JWH is the better album (IMO), but both are ok to good if you're a Bob Dylan fan (which I am), but still aren't as good as the pre-Blonde On Blonde albums. Honestly, Nashville Skyline sounds like a "regular" Bob Dylan album and not particularly a "country" album." It's just folk/rock with some steel guitar. I never really liked his voice that much on Skyline to be honest. It's not bad, I just prefer his pre-JWH, classic voice.

Agreed. Everybody makes a fuss over Nashville Skyline because of Lay Lady Lay. It's a nice song, big hit but Dylan has written better. I'm not the biggest fan of his crooning voice he used during that period either. JWH has some amazing songs. Frankie Lee and Judas Priest is brilliant.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I didn't have a problem with it. I like Chrysler products and have driven them since the 80's. I love Bob too so It was a win win for me! Plus it was a decent commercial. Dylan occasionally steps out and does an ad or two. Remember the Victoria's Secret ad a few years ago? It gets Dylan's face in front of people who might not otherwise know who he is. I also think there is about to be a big explosion of Dylan releases on the way. New BL series, 30th Anniversary re-release and who knows what else he may have up his sleeve. I'll have to pop over to Expecting Rain and see what the punters have to say about the ad.

Bill
    I have no problem with any 'big explosion' of dylan releases, as long as they're legit. Some stuff has come out in Europe that is not official.
    For the record, with all due respect to John Densmore and Tom Waits, I have no problem with any artist using his/her/their songs in commercials. If they're opposed to it, I respect that. If they use it for ads, fine with me. I love what Pete Townshend said on the topic.