Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather Report

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    The Offenbach 1978 video is also great, if you can find it.
    I have the CD version, so it would be somewhat reduntant. Besides, I saw a clip on Youtube, and Erskine had no shirt on.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    The Offenbach 1978 video is also great, if you can find it.
    I found a mint second hand copy of the Forecast Tomorrow box in a store a couple of years ago. It includes the Offenbach DVD for around the same price as the separate DVD. And the same can be found at Amazon. I also enjoy Montreux '76, and Germany 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Forecast Tomorrow box
    At the end of one of the CDs:

Why?
    WHY!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I have the CD version, so it would be somewhat reduntant. Besides, I saw a clip on Youtube, and Erskine had no shirt on.
    I have a copy. In the early stages Erskine has a shirt on and it is interesting to see Zawinul play the "backwards" synth in Black Market (he set it so the pitches got lower rather than higher moving up the keyboard).

^^^
    Someone at Columbia figured the DJ Logix bonus track would help sell the set? Hell if I know? I didn't remember it was on there.

The box did contain two gems from the early days with the extended version of "Eurydice" (the first half was edited out of the version as originally released) and the studio take of "Directions." I wonder if there is more.

Germany 71 is great, though short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

The Cologne 83 and Berlin 75 dvd's are also cool...I also have the live DVD of Weather Update, with Steve Khan on guitar, sans Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The box did contain two gems from the early days with the extended version of "Eurydice" (the first half was edited out of the version as originally released) and the studio take of "Directions." I wonder if there is more.
    I really enjoy listening to the first disc, and the way it's sequenced. There's so much cool, trippy music on there. Stuff like Unknown Soldier.

This thread's been around for two plus years and I didn't make a comment on this great band until now?
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Steve F is having a blowout sale...the 1971 DVD for $9, if any of you don't have it!

I'm really enjoying Miroslav Vitous' new album Music of Weather Report that just came out on ECM. It's interesting that he casts his net wider than just the albums he was on by arranging Birdland! And it's a brilliant version...all the themes of Birdland are there but kind of rendered in a Bitches Brew style. Great band as well.

Matt.

Any owners of the Live in Montreux 1976 DVD who'd care to share their thoughts?
    I recently picked this up and I agree it is essential if you like this version of the band. There are several great performances, but I think Alex Acuna and Manola Badrena overplayed on many of the tunes and are too high in the mix. Also, Jaco is a bit low in the mix, probably due to him being new to the band.

And speaking of Weather Report, has anybody here seen this clip?

https://youtu.be/QxiE5jlo-Yg

Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    And speaking of Weather Report, has anybody here seen this clip?

https://youtu.be/QxiE5jlo-Yg
    PHIL COLLINS RU-

Ah, never mind. Thanks for the clip.

You think that's bad, I have a live DVD of WR, and at one point the camera goes over the top of the keyboards to focus on Zawinul's playing. Unfortunately, it's also focused on his crotch and he's sporting a pretty impressive package. Luckily for the ladies, it stays there for what seems like eternity. :*0
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 07-01-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I recently picked this up and I agree it is essential if you like this version of the band. There are several great performances, but I think Alex Acuna and Manola Badrena overplayed on many of the tunes and are too high in the mix. Also, Jaco is a bit low in the mix, probably due to him being new to the band.
    A review for y'all.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Back in the day, WR was my least favoured "fusion" band (probably because they didn't rawk). But over the ensuing years, it WR that holds up best for me from all the big fusion bands like RTF, MO, etc. I have to admit that my sweet spot is from Mysterious Traveller to Heavy Weather (which I think is unjustly slammed - one of the most sublime numbers they did is Shorter's Palladium). Not that I don't like Sweetnighter, I just think things really clicked in on Mysterious Traveller.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

I see Penny and Larry Tate, but no Zawinul.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Heavy Weather (which I think is unjustly slammed - one of the most sublime numbers they did is Shorter's Palladium).
    Of the famous first three songs of Heavy Weather, I've always found "Remark" sickly sweet and I burned out on "Birdland" and "Teen Town" a while ago, but the rest of the album is great.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Of the famous first three songs of Heavy Weather, I've always found "Remark" sickly sweet and I burned out on "Birdland" and "Teen Town" a while ago, but the rest of the album is great.
    That's too bad. I find A Remark You Made to be an achingly beautiful piece of music. And I love the other two, but I don't overplay the album, which I've owned for 30+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Back in the day, WR was my least favoured "fusion" band (probably because they didn't rawk). But over the ensuing years, it WR that holds up best for me from all the big fusion bands like RTF, MO, etc. I have to admit that my sweet spot is from Mysterious Traveller to Heavy Weather (which I think is unjustly slammed - one of the most sublime numbers they did is Shorter's Palladium). Not that I don't like Sweetnighter, I just think things really clicked in on Mysterious Traveller.
    yeah, I must say that WR was the last one of the BB offshoots that I dug ... Lifetime, MO, RTF, and even Mwandishi hit the spot much quicker than WR
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

So I am watching the newest DVD now.....(Morning Lake). It's black and white, bare bones production--no real "menu screen" just-PLAY.
    But the footage, sound and music choices are pretty great. This is the first incarnation, and there's some great jamming. Berimbau solo. Joe on electric piano with ring modulator. What more could anyone ask?

If you're a fan of Live in Tokyo, just go get this. It's cheap and essential for fans, IMO.