Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prog stars & their hobbies !

Prog stars & their hobbies !

Just wondered what hobbies or businesess prog or rock stars have outside of music.
    Roger Daltrey is a keen angler and runs a trout farm. Greg Lake is also a keen angler. Keith Emerson enjoys flying and is a pilot. Ronnie Wood is an artist.
    I know most people already know about the above but i don't know any others!

During the Stories of a Lifetime Q&A here in AZ, Lake also said that he collects first edition books (vintage hardcover, not paperback)...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Remember the Alamo! (at least one person has done so).

Anthony Phillips plays cricket I believe. Mike Rutherford I think plays polo, and rides horses.

Not a prog star, but John Bonham used to collect antique sports cars. Steve Morse is (or was) supposedly a licensed commercial airline pilot.

Helmut Koellen of Triumvirat was an auto mechanic and race car driver.
    Jurgen Dollase of Wallenstein became an important gastronomist and writer about food in Europe.

Geddy Lee is a fantasy baseball fanatic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Anthony Phillips plays cricket I believe. Mike Rutherford I think plays polo, and rides horses.
    yeah, not quite working class, Cockneyed East Enders, these *public* school types? (in England, apparently exclusive, posh, private schools are actually called public schools).

Yeah, your fave guy Phil Collins collects books about The Alamo, Rufus.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Not a prog star, but John Bonham used to collect antique sports cars.
    Nick Mason is a car nut, too.
    Jonathan Byrne
    http://jdbyrne.net

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Not just books, but historical artifacts. He wrote a book on the subject.

Not sure if it can be considered a hobby or not, but Steve Rothery seems to have taken up pie eating.

The guy that did the maintenance on Nick Mason's cars was a client of the firm I worked for back in the 80's. I was lucky enough to see some of these beauties up close in a small garage tucked away in a quier corner of leafy Surrey. I used to work on the Floyd's management company accounts back then to, but this was the quiet years, always good to visit and hear old tales from the few staff, though never met any of the band.

In addition to nick, David Gilmour has a collection of airplanes, and Roger Waters plays golf and hunts fox.

Rick Wakeman use to collect Rolls Royce's but each of his ex-wifes got on one as part of the divorce settlement!!!

Steve Vai (whom I recently saw in concert - it was hilarous!) is a hobby-beekeeper. I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Geddy Lee is a fantasy baseball fanatic.
    And also an avid wine collector & enthusiast.

Mikel Akerfeldt still has his childhood Star Wars collection.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Mikel Akerfeldt still has his childhood Star Wars collection.
    He is also an avid collector of 1970s space rock and early prog, on vinyl.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    He is also an avid collector of 1970s space rock and early prog, on vinyl.
    Yeah, from the descriptions I've read of his collection, it is pretty extensive. Probably the coolest film I've seen of a rocker's vinyl collection was a bonus section on a Guided by Voices DVD where they filmed Robert Pollard's collection, or at least a PART of it. Dude's entire basement looks like a record store, even down to real record store fixtures. And that's besides the hundreds of crates. Pollard is so obsessed, he once recorded an EP for a tiny New York City label in return for a mint vinyl copy of Amon Duul II's YETI that the owner of the label had.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    "Prog stars".
    Hey we have one ..from Yahoo.com "Pink Floyd rocker Roger Waters ranks second with $88 million" (that is 2012 earnings)

I think I read somewhere that Greg Lake collects fountain pens. I could be wrong.

Ian Anderson ran a salmon farm for a while.

I know they are not progressive, but Sammy Hagar used to like running and Alice Cooper likes his golf. Lemmy collects German WWII militaria - I'm not sure why anyone would want to collect that.

Dave Gilmour and Ian Gillan were (association) football fans. I don't know if this is still the case.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Mike Rutherford.... rides horses.
    And has fallen and hurt himself quite badly from what I recall. Can't remember when that was. 1990s?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Ian Anderson ran a salmon farm for a while.
    More a business venture than a hobby, I think. He also has a keen interest in cats, especially exotic/endangered ones.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I think he collects actual artifacts from the Alamo.