Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciaition

Without the ‘Location’, I'm confused by the attempted phonetic spellings of the various pronunciations.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it either way - no use crying over spilt milk
    oh, I'm not worried about it; thought I'd add more levity to things

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Without the ‘Location’, I'm confused by the attempted phonetic spellings of the various pronunciations.
    if it helps, mine is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisvi...atistical_Area the area most commonly referred to as Kentuckiana

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    oh, I'm not worried about it; thought I'd add more levity to things
    Me too - unsuccessfully it would seem

I have always pronounced Thin Lizzy as Tin Lizzy ( like the River Thames). I always assumed most Americans ( and d.j.s) just didn't know how to properly pronounce the band's name ( and fire truck) yet, I hear Brit's and Irishman also pronounce it both ways with the majority actually saying it Thin instead of Tin. Which is correct I ask those across the pond?

Oh yeah, omega and urinal are two words that sound completely different over here.

I sell a lot of fish but you will never hear me say the "l" in salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    I sell a lot of fish but you will never hear me say the "l" in salmon.
    Does anybody? I've never heard it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Does anybody? I've never heard it that way.
    Salman Rushdie pronounces the "l."

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    On the split, learnt, burnt, issue. I've never written or said those forms, I've always written spilled, learned, burned. I always thought that was an Aemrican thing Vic, but you seem to imply it is a UK thing...interesting.
    I heard "learnt" a lot more as a kid (and no I did not grow up in "the south"). "Burnt" is used very often. I'm pretty sure over the years here at PE some of the UK members have said "learnt" and "spoilt" in some of their posts. So I don't know if it's an Merican-ism or not. It's probably an old hold over from an English that was spoken a hundred years ago. Eether way it dudn't bother me none .

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I don't think that at all, Thomas. One of the benefits of not being able to afford cable television, is that I have never seen "Jersey Shore." Of course, it also means I have never seen the good cable programs, either. But that doesn't worry me. It's only TV wasteland.
    I've never seen the show since I hate reality TV, but I've seen news stories on the show, interviews etc. But trust me, I've had many out of staters ask if we are all like the people on the show. They call the call center where I work, and the moment they find out we are in NJ, they ask about the show. It's happened many times, including even this week to one of my co-workers. I'm told I sound like I come from the midwest. I guess its because I'm sometimes more deliberate with my speech patterns than most people here. But then the sarcasm comes out, and they figure me out!

Back to the Z thing, I can't figure out zed at all. Am I supposed to pronounce that striped animal a zedebra? And does a bee go "bzzzzz-ed"? I'm not sure why I would vocalize a "d" sound when using a Z. Shouldn't then the letter C then get pronounced as "CED"? Z and C are pretty close in sound. Shouldn't then the letter B get pronounced as "bed"and D as "ded"? I could go on and on. Confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Back to the Z thing, I can't figure out zed at all. Am I supposed to pronounce that striped animal a zedebra? And does a bee go "bzzzzz-ed"? I'm not sure why I would vocalize a "d" sound when using a Z. Shouldn't then the letter C then get pronounced as "CED"? Z and C are pretty close in sound. Shouldn't then the letter B get pronounced as "bed"and D as "ded"? I could go on and on. Confusing.
    Why would you think this at all?

Do you pronounce "water" as "double-u-ater?"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    I can't figure out if you're joking with this post. The letter Z is called a Zed. Except in the U.S. where it is called a Zee. Simple.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    I have always pronounced Thin Lizzy as Tin Lizzy ( like the River Thames). I always assumed most Americans ( and d.j.s) just didn't know how to properly pronounce the band's name ( and fire truck) yet, I hear Brit's and Irishman also pronounce it both ways with the majority actually saying it Thin instead of Tin. Which is correct I ask those across the pond?
    Like the band I'm Irish and I can tell you that the correct pronunciation, as the band themselves pronounced it, and as most Irish say it, is Tin Lizzy, the reference was to the vehicle. There is a story that says a record company rep inserted the H, thinking that when the lads in this Irish band said they were called Tin Lizzy he assumed, due to their accents, that they were saying thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I can't figure out if you're joking with this post. The letter Z is called a Zed. Except in the U.S. where it is called a Zee. Simple.
    Indeed. I don't understand the confusion. I actually think it was a weak attempt at a joke. Other letters have names that don't sound like they appear. How about "H" or "W"? We don't pronounce the letters' names in "house" and "water"; we pronounce the letter.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The only people I've ever heard say "Zed" are Canadians. So, in Canada ZZ Top is Zed Zed Top .

Okay, bad joke but seriously I've only heard Canadians say "Zed." I've called customer service (for whatever reason, computer issue, inquiry about whatever) and I get a Canadian customer service rep. They say Zed, they pronounce "process" as pro sess (not Prah sess like Merikans do), and "about" is "a boat."

^^ I think "W" should be 'dubbel-vee" since in print it's 2 V's, not 2 U's side by side.

^ My primary exposure to Canadian dialect is Trailer Park Boys (however sad that might be ). Re 'about', I usually understand them to say 'a boot'. maybe in some regions they do say 'a boat." the key is probably to take a sample of that word from a TPB show and slow it down a little.

^^ I think "W" should be 'dubbel-vee" since in print it's 2 V's, not 2 U's side by side.
    It is in French...

I usually understand them to say 'a boot'.
    "A boot" sounds a bit exaggerated, and I guess "a boat" is kind of exaggerated too. I think it's more like "a butt."

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    "A boot" sounds a bit exaggerated, and I guess "a boat" is kind of exaggerated too. I think it's more like "a butt."
    That's only when they're talking about Rob Ford.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    It is in French...
    My sister speaks Spanish and French. I'd invite her to this discussion, but she's never even heard of prog rock and probably wouldn't have time anyway.

I wonder if it's different in various areas. TPB was filmed in Nova Scotia, and I'd like to know how 'tia' got to be pronounced as 'shuh'.

Rob who?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That's only when they're talking about Rob Ford.
    Can you explain that to me?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    A butt

Frog in boiling water

Rob who?
    Can you explain that to me?
    Rob Ford? The crack-smoking mayor of Toronto who can't help putting his foot in his mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Rob Ford? The crack-smoking mayor of Toronto who can't help putting his foot in his mouth?
    okay. I was only vaguely aware of that and didn't catch the name. At first, I thought you were talking about the guy that shot Jesse James.

Thanks for the photo, Wile E.