Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciaition

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    For me, it's "your anus"
    I agree, this silly "you're in us" form was only created in recent years due to PC to protect the ears of sensitive souls.

By rights then we should start pronouncing uranium as you're-in-i-um.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I agree, this silly "you're in us" form was only created in recent years due to PC to protect the ears of sensitive souls.
    I don't think so.

I think it was more to stop the snickering whenever someone talked about the planet.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't think so.

I think it was more to stop the snickering whenever someone talked about the planet.
    Yea, that as well.

I don't think so.

When I was in high school we had some NASA guy come to our school and give a presentation covering the entire solar system. When he started discussing Uranus there was a significant amount of snickering and giggling. Instead of ignoring it this guy stopped and said sternly "oh come now, surely we're more adult than that!"...wrong approach. The whole place began erupting in full-on uncontrollable laughter while this guy stood there with a disapproving look. Even the teachers couldn't help themselves. It was awesome.
    <sig out of order>

^ that is hilarious......lol

Pick Uranus rhymes with Rick Moranis

I don't think so.

Maybe it was Gene Roddenberry who instigated the change because of that joke.

What does Star Trek and toilet paper have in common?

They both go to Uranus to wipe out Klingons.

See, I can provide grade school humor just as much as the next guy.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Maybe it was Gene Roddenberry who instigated the change because of that joke.

What does Star Trek and toilet paper have in common?

They both go to Uranus to wipe out Klingons.

See, I can provide grade school humor just as much as the next guy.
    I've always heard it as "they circle Uranus looking for Klingons".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Why was Yeoman Rand in the men's room of the Enterprise?
    <sig out of order>

Suspended
    Reading this thread while eating my morning muesli was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Pick Uranus
    Is he related to the old bluesman Bill "Scratch" Uranus?

Well LUV,
    To me, you are a one more inferior race...,,lol

Why?
    Simply because Redskin people has beyond your enginering/building life perception (if you are a one of this...), ok

Do you know the difference among inferior and superior race?
    If you dont know about, I will tell you
    All this happened when we recognize ourselves as structural or superstructural people..ok

and, this is when superstructural people beyond structural intelligence, why? simply because its nature...

luvyesmusic;225560]Yeah, the whole laziness of folks here generations who can't talk properly really annoys me as well. For the life of me I can't figure out where the "axe" came from either.

Speaking of pregnancy, my mom is a social-worker. She had a client years ago who name was pronounced "Femalie". My mom inquired about her name and she said that when she was born, her mother assumed that the doctor had named her daughter. What the doctor did, was simply write or indicate that the child/baby was a female. Hence the name Female ( Femalie). Only in America. ;-)

Reminds me of a young, 18 year old African-American man who probably 20 years ago was convicted of raping a woman he didn't know. Can't say I blame the guy too much when he has to live his entire life with the name his parents gave him. Kunte Kinte (from ROOTSfame). He was bound to snap sometime. :-) Some of the idiot names parents give their kids are far worse than any pronunciation I might not agree with. George Forman the boxer, I believe he has four boys/young men with all the same first, middle and last names with his daughter being a Georgina.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap! It's the railwayengineersupervisoryinspectionmanagerscloakr oomattendantslunchallowanceenvelope again!

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Why was Yeoman Rand in the men's room of the Enterprise?
    I'll bite. I don't know. Tell us please!!

She was looking for the captain's log.
    <sig out of order>

Thanks, Vic.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I hope it was worth the wait.
    <sig out of order>

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    honest+that+is+not+kirks+penis+but+it+could+be.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

You beat me to it.

<sig out of order>

Was he boldly going?

Was he boldly going?
    I'd say coming!

That's actually how they came up with the name Uhura.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm sorry....lol

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Holy crap! It's the railwayengineersupervisoryinspectionmanagerscloakr oomattendantslunchallowanceenvelope again!

whatever your words, I know you come from Southafrica and that's why you are so hateful, that is the bitter on your nurture, ok.
    To you, your micro-social perception is full of potential but...BUT, because not used properly, this is burning your head and no one else other, despite your wish....
    So you must get into politics,....otherwise, latinos/redskins will have huge laugh of your person, ok.....
    I know you have 43- 45, ok, you are conservative in politics, ok.
    From now on, you will surf 5 years at least, this means, you have have 2 objective years to defend your point of view of reality, ok.
    To me this is a reality that will be nothing and get over so much as the nothing i am telling you about you and redskins enhance in the US.....

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Everyone has there own views. I don't need to apologize for my views based on life experiences to anyone. I was born outside of the states in a U.S. territory at the time. I've lived in and been educated in a few different countries learning various languages to an extent and traveled extensively. Native American got shafted more than any other demographic group in U.S. history; that's a no-brainer. Spanish was not spoken by the Indians or native people by the way until other "invaders" came around. Many areas of this country now have many folks who aren't here legally affecting the entire country. I can understand why folks come to the promised land where the streets are lined with gold-this story is still told. Many areas of the country cater to these folks, even though it goes against Federal law, even getting state and soon Washington d.c. issued driver licenses. The phrase only in America ( The U.S.) is very relevant here. Try going to another country without a visa, trying to get out of the airport, even owning property if you've been born there in some instances. There are procedures and legal ways to come to the U.S.. The U.S. is and has been more than generous in adding to the great-melting pot that is indeed the United States of America. Again, I can't say that is the case in most countries. My wife who came from Vietnam to join other members of her family here, followed the procedures, submitted all kinds of paperwork, paid fees and did not rely on the American taxpayers to take care of her. She did not, other than official forms if requested, have signs up in her language everywhere she went as is the case in much of the area north of Miami ;-) - joke there, btw. She learned the language-both reading and writing and went to school. Education is not an option for many folks and in many cases, assimilation does not happen, even though in most cases, it's the best way to succeed with a better job, etc.. My wife's sister's who live outside of L.A. might as well have stayed in Vietnam as they have decided to stay in their own little world.

I am proud of my "mutt" heritage and even more so of my daughter's. It's a small world so don't get me wrong. I decided to have one child who I can provide for. We've got generations of folks here who expect to be taken care of and only look. sometimes, as another mouth to feed as more government issued benefits. Yeah, I would say I'm the Archie Bunker type when I've been around the world and work six days a week to help provide meals and a future for many folks who just don't get real responsibility. ;-) It's really the natural cycle of things to come. And as far as Americans being lazy in many different culture's eyes, we certainly also seem to be the most generous, whether wanted, appreciated or not. The last few times I've traveled, I've been disappointed in the fact that many folks in the countries I've traveled to would rather try and communicate with me in English than have me try to converse in my attempt at theirs. You folks want to discuss pronunciation or dialect, what's up with most English/UK singers sounding like they are "white-bread" American? LOL

As for high altidude/Qara qoz, I can understand your sour grapes with yesfans. You did it to yourself, brother. I had little to do with it myself. You seemed to be amusing yourself, and that's really all that seemed to matter with your cryptic posts. Glad to see more of the real you here. yesfans.com was a great place for a few years for me. It ran it's course for me for the most part and that's why I feel I have little to contribute there and moved on. Becoming a mod. and dealing with whining, insulting to others who don't seem to have a clue when given friendly reminders, warnings, temp. bans,. etc, such as yourself, it only seemed you should post in your own world. You didn't really have much to say, did you? Not that most folks could understand anyhow, "broken" English or not. You actually post here as a adult human but I guess that was part of your shtick there. I enjoyed my chats with you ( when you contributed or didn't act too silly) and I will remember those fondly as good memories back in time. Again, blaming me for your "victimization" at yesfans.com ( which by the way is still a great site; check it out if you like). You are barking up the wrong tree; same with others here if you have past issues with yesfans.com.. It shouldn't reflect on me here. ;-) Btw, this place/progressive ears.com is pretty cool, too and it's good to see and interact with new and old friends. I look forward to seeing many of you at ROSfest this year and introducing myself to folks I have yet to interact with up to this point. The prog community is one "little" family. My name is Rob, btw, and I am a musicholic who has indeed injected some prog into my system but am always looking for new "stuff".;-) LOL!