Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Pronunciaition

No-der-dame......

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    of DuBois is pronounced "Doo-Boys" and Versailles is "Ver-Sales.".
    Versailles, IN is pronounced 'ver-sales' too. a HS friend of mine pronounced Dubois (her last name) that way too. 'Doo-boyz'. and there was a little place called Buena, which was pronounced 'byoo-nuh' instead of 'bwaynuh' I knew some people in south Jersey who pronounced the word 'color' as 'keller'. that's always puzzled me.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I was appalled to hear Americans refer to their institution of that name as "No-tah Daym". Yeech.
    Because if there's anything Australians are noted for, it's the correct pronunciation of everything.

Moog - why is it pronounced Moag, sort of like in oat, and not Muug like in soon ?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Because if there's anything Australians are noted for, it's the correct pronunciation of everything.
    Nice to be appreciated!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Moog - why is it pronounced Moag, sort of like in oat, and not Muug like in soon ?
    I think that's the way the Dutch pronounce the double 'o', isn't it? Some years ago I learned in a lecture about a Dutch traffic management concept called the "woonerf", at a time when such things were a rarity in Australian cities. The speaker pronounced it "voe-nerf".

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I dunno. Maybe you could ask the guy why his name is pronounced the way it's pronounced, Mr. Zee Uhl Mate. Oh wait, you can't. HE'S DEAD.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I knew some people in south Jersey who pronounced the word 'color' as 'keller'. that's always puzzled me.
    That's another Pittsburgh one.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

@Bob - yes the name seem to be dutch, german or swiss, so maybe.
    @Dave in May - I'll ask his surviving relatives...

But its so important - Those who know how to pronounce it correctly are definetely more 'in crowd' than those who dont...

Looked it up:
    Last name origins & meanings:

German: nickname for someone who was related to an important local personality, from Middle High German māc, māge ‘relative’. Compare Maag.
    Dutch: variant of van Mook (see Mook). But there is also a swiss connection.

Suspended
    But its so important - Those who know how to pronounce it correctly are definetely more 'in crowd' than those who dont...
    I hope you are not being flippant. it's extremely important to know the correct pronunciation if you want to put the name at the end of a line in a limerick.

Is it "chomping at the bit" or "champing at the bit"? Or does it really even matter?
    <sig out of order>

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Very interesting, Ian. I saw someone on FB complaining about people saying "chomping at the bit". At the time I looked up the word "chomp" and the dictionary I was looking at said the word originated back in 1587 or something like that. I didn't see how it's use could be wrong. But if it is presupposed that the original idiom is "champ at the bit" then "champ" is considered more correct...even though "champ" is rarely ever used outside that idiom (and "chomp" is used much more often both in and outside that idiom).

Weird.
    <sig out of order>

Thinking of place names where the correct pronunciation is the incorrect one, such as Cairo, IL (pronounced Karo, like the corn syrup). Here we have a local street named Appian Way, and you can tell folks from out-of-town, as they pronounce it correctly (locals say “AY-pian”).

There’s also a street in El Cerrito called Navellier Avenue, and I have no idea what the correct (i.e.: locally accepted) pronunciation is, as I’ve never heard anyone say it aloud. Is it “Nav-e-yay” (seemingly correct, as it looks French-derived) or “Nav-el-leer” (which I can totally picture people saying).

Getting a bit off-topic from pronunciations, but as a California native, I can’t help but notice we have a tendency to totally mangle the Spanish language in some of our place names; for example the coastal town of El Granada, or the Walnut Creek street named La Casa Via.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    "Casanova, is that your name?
    Or do you live there?" - Bryan Ferry

Having lived in both California and Nevada, I have seen a lot of language-mangling. Here in Nevada, we don't just mangle Spanish words, we bugger up Italian names as well.

Nevada (from Sierra Nevada, "snow-covered mountain range")- properly pronounced in its native Spanish as Ne-vah-dah ('a' as in father), here there is a contingent of hillbilly idiots who insist everyone mispronounce it Ne-vaa-duh ('a' as in cat), with "pride." Not sure why ignorance is something we should be proud of.

Verdi (town name) - named after Italian composer Giuseppi Verdi, pronounced locally Vur-dye.

Genoa (town name) - named after its namesake in Italy, where it is pronounced GEN-o-ah. Here it is pronounced ge-NO-uh.
    Frog in boiling water

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Don't get me started on all the mangled English place names in New England, I'm grinding my teeth just thinking about them.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

All minor quibbles compared to the modern Italian athlete playing in the US

Show some pride and insist the surname is pronounced properly

It's:

Chicharelli, not Sisarelli

Chervelli, not Sirvelli

etc, etc, etc

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

And Pedro is not pronounced Pay dro. Grande is not pronounced Granday.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    And Pedro is not pronounced Pay dro. Grande is not pronounced Granday.
    so how are they pronounced? or are you being sarcastic? 'grande'' is 'gron'-day' right? I can't roll r's.

In California, we have a town called car-MEHL. It's quite nice. My sister lives in New York, in a town called CAR-mel.

Another one I didn't see mentioned in this thread:

"creek" pronounced "crick"

The joke I heard about this was, if you hear someone say "crick" you should say "I sleep between the sheets...where do you sleep?"
    <sig out of order>

my late father-in-law used to say replace 'i' with 'ee' for dish and fish. not sure I ever heard him say 'weesh' or Lillian Geesh.

I used to know people from WV who pronounced 'feel' as 'fil'. that was very weird at the time. they also 'jokingly' (to them anyway) referred to my Puerto Rican neighbors as 'portables'

I have a pet peeve I'm trying to relax about, which is people saying 'funny' in the 'odd/peculiar' sense. I used to say 'funny' for 'odd' but when I was a 3 or 4, after my sister asking me 2 or 3 times "do you mean funny 'haha or funny odd?" I started saying 'odd' instead.

Yay for Friday!!

Is this a typo or just a usage of the word "paid" I never encountered before?

"It also, sadly, puts paid to the idea that..."

Nevermind, I finally found a reference to this, but it didn't really seem covered by the dictionary definition I found.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 02-12-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    <sig out of order>

No, "puts paid to" is quite common. Although like a lot of things, now that you mention it it does look quite odd!

My search results made it appear quite common...I'm not sure why I never happened to notice it before. Since the phrase doesn't make sense to me, I think when I heard those words I couldn't figure out what they were by context...so it never really got properly cataloged.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 02-12-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    <sig out of order>