Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciaition

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Yeah, in an English class or on a test it's wrong. Otherwise it's okay and we have fun with it and other differences.
    yea, that's true enough.

In Ireland, especially in the south and east of the country the word column is often pronounced col-yoom as oppsoed to the British & American col-uhm.

in the 'one syllable as two syllables' category, my paternal grandmother & her sister pronounced - and my wife pronounces - 'school' as 'skoo-wul.' that sounded weird to me as a kid cause I, and most others around me, pronounced it 'skool'. but I've been flexible on that for 50 years now. it helped pave the way for 'too-wer'.

having never been to Pittsburgh, I was unaware of that. it's kind of a relief. is Pittsburgh generally a blue collar/redneck populace too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Most definitely.
    Well, yes and no. They are certainly closer to West Virginia than New York. But, there is also a robust cultural community that runs contrary to the football-only-brained, racist dumbasses.

my wife used to call him Howdy Doody
    That's an insult to wood-headed puppets everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A towering genius compared to Ear Leader.
    LOL!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

in the 'one syllable as two syllables' category, my paternal grandmother & her sister pronounced - and my wife pronounces - 'school' as 'skoo-wul.' that sounded weird to me as a kid cause I, and most others around me, pronounced it 'skool'. but I've been flexible on that for 50 years now. it helped pave the way for 'too-wer'.
    what's weird is that, while your wife pronounces "tour" with two syllables, I bet she pronounces "flour" like "flahr" - one syllable, instead of like "flower."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My wife's midwestern relatives would warsh their hayunds in the zinc.

what's weird is that, while your wife pronounces "tour" with two syllables, I bet she pronounces "flour" like "flahr" - one syllable, instead of like "flower."
    Some pronounce whore as 'who-orr'

I was born and raised in The Bronx, so there are many things I say that drives the wife nuts. Instead of painting the living room, I'll be "paint-in". I tend to drop the "g" off of "ing" and I can't break it.

now that it's mentioned, I hadn't thought about it, but she pronounces 'flour' as 'flower'. and she pronounces 'whore' as 'hor'. not that we discussing whores or whoring much, but when it comes to certain 'professionals' (usually in true crime docs) she calls them 'paid horz'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Some pronounce whore as 'who-orr'
    That's how we pronounced it when I lived in Rhode Island, "She's a who-err alright."

We also dropped the "r" a lot, too. For years I thought "fart" was spelled "fot."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    I was born and raised in The Bronx, so there are many things I say that drives the wife nuts. Instead of painting the living room, I'll be "paint-in". I tend to drop the "g" off of "ing" and I can't break it.
    I'm dying to know, do you say 'idea' or 'i-deer' ? speaking of NYC, many years ago SCTV did a skit about talking New Yorkese, which of course was New Yawkeez. they taught how to get coffee in NY, "I want a reg-yuh-luh kawfee. 1 cream, 1 shoug-uh, a reg-yuh-luh kawfee." and 'Fuh Christmas you wanted something. A spitza, a shnowza. a smawl dawg." and so on. wish I could find the clip.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG
    Ronnie Corbett: F U N E X?
    Ronnie Barker: S V FX
    Ronnie Corbett: F U N E M?
    Ronnie Barker: 9
    Took me a while to figure that out, but I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Crayon pronounced like "crown."
    Believe it or not, I pronounced "crayon" as "cran" throughout my childhood. I could read the word on the box of crayons. I don't know why. I got over it. Maybe the same regional speech sloth that caused us to use "soda" and "coke" interchangeably, even while aware "coke" was a registered trademark of the Coca Cola company. Almost no one out here used "pop." Also, we had couches, or occasionally sofas. No one had davenports, divans or settees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA)
    Tonic. (a term that seems to be dying out)
    I thought tonic was specific to the quinine drink one mixes with gin. Tonic in the US is the victim of the American propensity to make everything taste like a children's drink. They add corn syrup to it to sweeten it. Quinine is supposed to be bitter. Get over it. Probably the same people who make mass-produced US beer taste like kool-aid. Don't get me started on beer. In the rest of the world, light beer is hell brau, light-colored beer. Here, light beer is watered-down beer marketed (to idiots) as a diet drink.

Quote Originally Posted by davis
    in the 'one syllable as two syllables' category, my paternal grandmother & her sister pronounced - and my wife pronounces - 'school' as 'skoo-wul.' that sounded weird to me as a kid cause I, and most others around me, pronounced it 'skool'.
    My wife pronounces it "skoo." Apparently always has. She is a college graduate.

My favorite American pronunciation would have to be "kilometer." The rest of the world, as far as I know, pronounces it KEE-lo-MEE-ter, similarly to kiloton (or kilotonne, in countries where letters aren't at a premium) or kilogram. Americans insist on pronouncing it kill-AHM-uh-ter. Even Americans who have no trouble with kiloton or kilogram. Seems specific to the thousand meter measurement, and specific to the US. Where does this pronunciation come from?
    Frog in boiling water

I like that Kim Mitchell song, "Rock and Roll Doody".

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

I thought tonic was specific to the quinine drink one mixes with gin.
    Tonic was the Boston-area generic term for what R-pronouncers refer to as "pop". It has fallen out of favor in the past 30 years or so in favor of soda, but I remember going to the supermarket and seeing the aisle where the Coke, Pepsi, etc. marked "Tonic".

My favorite American pronunciation would have to be "kilometer." The rest of the world, as far as I know, pronounces it KEE-lo-MEE-ter, similarly to kiloton (or kilotonne, in countries where letters aren't at a premium) or kilogram. Americans insist on pronouncing it kill-AHM-uh-ter.
    I've never heard that, just kill-OM-ə-ter.[/QUOTE]

KilOMeter just sounds more correct. Like oDOMeter. You wouldn't call that an O-DOmeter, would you?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm dying to know, do you say 'idea' or 'i-deer' ? speaking of NYC, many years ago SCTV did a skit about talking New Yorkese, which of course was New Yawkeez. they taught how to get coffee in NY, "I want a reg-yuh-luh kawfee. 1 cream, 1 shoug-uh, a reg-yuh-luh kawfee." and 'Fuh Christmas you wanted something. A spitza, a shnowza. a smawl dawg." and so on. wish I could find the clip.

I say idea. But, along with the G in ING, I also tend to drop my Rs. So, I'll usually say sugar as sugah.

^ Understood. I went to a wedding on Long Island last year. I don't recall hearing any ending "r" sounds.

And, for the love of all that is holy, it's "soda!" Not "pop," and most definitely not "Coke," unless you're talking specifically about the flagship Coca-Cola flavor.
    Disagree on the first half: It's pop. Soda is just carbonated water. At least, 'round these parts.

FULLY AGREE on the second part. I've been to some of the southern States and when we went to restaurants, I'd say "I'll have a Coke" and the girl would say "What kind?"... Ummmmm... the dark brown, bubbly sweet kind, comes in a red and white can? I was truly stumped.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Another one that drives me nuts:

When you abbreviate "should've," "could've," or "would've," you're contracting "should have," NOT "should of."

The correct term is "soft drink", lol.
    <sig out of order>

Another one that drives me nuts:

When you abbreviate "should've," "could've," or "would've," you're contracting "should have," NOT "should of."
    me too

How about "compf-ter-bul"....?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Like oDOMeter. You wouldn't call that an O-DOmeter, would you?

I would
    Frog in boiling water

There's a segment of Philadelphia where they add a syllable to the word "Acme." So, they say they're going to the Ac-a-me market.

It's like wearing a sign that says you never finished 8th grade.
    wile e..jpg
    Frog in boiling water

From URban Dictionary:

Pittsburghese
    The Pittsburgh English dialect, or "Pittsburghese," derives from influences from the Scotch-Irish, German, Central European and Eastern European immigrants. The dialect is somewhat similar in tone to other nearby regional dialects (ie, Philadelphia, Baltimore), but is noted for its somewhat staccato rhythms (a result of the Eastern European influence). The lexicon itself contains notable cognates borrowing from Croatian and other Slavic and European languages. Examples include babushka, pierogi, and halushky.

Emblematic of Pittsburghese is "yinz" as the plural of "you", with "yunz" as a variant. Locals who speak the Pittsburgh dialect are often referred to as "yinzers".

Speakers of the dialect also often compress the pronunciation of words and phrases. For example, "up there" becomes "up er." Speakers also often end a sentence with "and that", pronounced as, "n'at." For example, a local "yinzer" might say, "We went dahntahn to go get some beer n'at."

I can speak to this. I'm from eastern PA, but have been north of Pittsburgh for thirty years. The accent is not one of the more flattering ones. HArd to describe

Anyhoo, it's a lazy dialect, like they mentioned.

Here's a pretty comprehensive (and funny) list:

http://www.pittsburghese.com/glossar...l?type=phrases
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"