Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciaition

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Another one that drives me nuts:

When you abbreviate "should've," "could've," or "would've," you're contracting "should have," NOT "should of."

Oh man, that one is my linguistic pet hate numero uno! Problem is, it's gaining ground all the time & many people are beginning to think it's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    How about "compf-ter-bul"....?
    Well, I assume you refer to the addition of the P sound? Otherwise that's the standard pronunciation, and sounding an M followed by an F it is difficult not to make the P sound or what sounds like a P when opening the lips from the M to use the teeth to make the F because the top lip gets in the way.

KilOMeter just sounds more correct. Like oDOMeter. You wouldn't call that an O-DOmeter, would you?
    I dont think I understand your representation O-DOmeter. Do you mean the incorrect owe-dough-meter or the correct owe-dom-iter?
    And kill-om-iter or kill-am-eater - both those however are heard about equally over here.

it's gaining ground all the time & many people are beginning to think it's normal.
    I of () noticed that too. It used to be a pet peeve of mine too but now I just don't care.

The other one that used to, kind've () bug me is: "me and so-and-so are going to go to bla bla bla." EVERYONE says "me and" instead of "bla bla and I are going to do whatever, and blah blah." If someone actually says it correctly it sounds strange. And then there are the people who say "I and" in places where it's incorrect and it sounds even stupidier.

By the way Peter, is it "blah blah" or "bla bla?" Or does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    By the way Peter, is it "blah blah" or "bla bla?" Or does it matter?

Well actually, it's yada yada yada

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Oh man, that one is my linguistic pet hate numero uno! Problem is, it's gaining ground all the time & many people are beginning to think it's normal.
    As is often the case, unfortunately. Just look at the phrase "I could care less". When did THAT become acceptable? It's couldn't, people.

Is the Eastern Canadian province pronounced New-FOUND-land or Newf-un-land?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I know this isn't pronunciation, but it drives me nuts to hear 'a.m. in the morning', especially when it comes from professionals who imo should know better.

Well, I assume you refer to the addition of the P sound? Otherwise that's the standard pronunciation, and sounding an M followed by an F it is difficult not to make the P sound or what sounds like a P when opening the lips from the M to use the teeth to make the F because the top lip gets in the way.
    No, I wasn't really pointing out the P sound - as you say, that sort of just comes along for the ride. I was pointing out that there are two ways of saying that word (according to the dictionary). The pronunciation I posted always seems wrong, even if it is easier and probably more common.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    As is often the case, unfortunately. Just look at the phrase "I could care less". When did THAT become acceptable? It's couldn't, people.
    Yeah, I hate that one - drives me nuts. It may have become acceptable, but it's just plain wrong and defies logic/comprehension.
    <sig out of order>

During adolescence, I started saying 'I couldn't care less' but my dad followed it with 'So you could care more." 2 or 3 of those exchanges and I don't think I've said it since.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    During adolescence, I started saying 'I couldn't care less' but my dad followed it with 'So you could care more." 2 or 3 of those exchanges and I don't think I've said it since.
    That makes no sense to me. Sure, if circumstances were different you could care more...but at that moment you are saying "I couldn't care less" because the amount of your caring has bottomed out - so you are not going to be able to care more at that moment. The fact that you could theoretically care more is irrelevant to the sentiment you are expressing.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Is the Eastern Canadian province pronounced New-FOUND-land or Newf-un-land?
    New-FOUND-land is what it is, it says what it is in the name.

Newf-un-land, on the other hand, as I know many pronounce it, does not say what it is.
    And as a once independent country, settled mostly by Scots and Irish, I can't understand where this Newf-un-land pronunciation came from, it certainly wouldn't be sounded like that in Ireland or Scotland. Sounds like the klind of pronunciation one might hear down in Maine, if my friends in Bath, Maine are anything to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Yeah, I hate that one - drives me nuts. It may have become acceptable, but it's just plain wrong and defies logic/comprehension.
    And it confuses the heck out of us over here in the Isles. If you could care less about something else it means the subject in hand is not at the bottom of your caring list and as such "I could care less" becomes a meaningless and weak insult. Even if you mean you could care less about the subject in hand, it is still a weak insult, because you are saying that you still have some interest in it. It's just a pointless and incorrerct phrase.

"I couldn't give two shits about that."

"So, you could give one, though."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"You don't take a shit, you leave a shit!!!" - George Carlin.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Beat me to it...

"You don't take a shit, you leave a shit!!!"
    And on the same note of the opposite verb being used, why is it called a blow job?

in certain parts of the South (definitely in Kentucky), 'hollow' and 'swallow' are pronounced 'holler' and 'swaller.' wtf is up with that?

Especially when holler is a word in its own right.

And on the same note of the opposite verb being used, why is it called a blow job?
    Because it was performed for cocaine?

Why is it that we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My colleague at the university where I work is from Devon. His name is Keith, but he told me that for the longest time he was certain it was supposed to be pronounced "Keef."

Or how about when some people from the UK put a soft "k" sound at the end of a word that ends in ~ing? An example is on the song Departure from the Moody Blues' "In Search of the Lost Chord": "Be it sight, sound, the smell, the touch, there's somethingk inside that we need so much..."

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Why is it that we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
    Or watch your house burn up as it burns down...

Is there such a thing as a horseful carriage or a strapful gown?

Does anyone ever experience requited love?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I know this isn't pronunciation, but it drives me nuts to hear 'a.m. in the morning', especially when it comes from professionals who imo should know better.
    That is a redundancy, and they are becoming more and more common. (In the US redundancy means saying the same thing twice, not the "unemployment" meaning used in the UK.) A lot of redundancies are initiated by sportscasters, who are paid to keep talking even when there is nothing to say. Watch a game (especially US football) and count how many times the sportscaster says "quick and fast." Of course, listen to enough US football games and you're sure to hear another favorite expression, regarding a player who "exploded" up the field or "exploded" through the defensive line. If they really explode, wouldn't that be a bigger concern than players suffering mere concussions? If you make a drinking game of "exploded" and "quick and fast," you will be passed out drunk by halftime.
    Frog in boiling water

a lot of people say 'pitcher' when referring to a photograph or painting, instead of 'PIK-Chir'. I used to think that saying 'where is it at?" was a south Jersey thing until I moved to Indiana and heard it, and from southerners on tv.