Thread: AAJ Review: True to the Blues: The Johnny Winter Story

AAJ Review: True to the Blues: The Johnny Winter Story

My review of True to the Blues: The Johnny Winter Story, today at All About Jazz.

With the release of From His Head to His Heart to His Hands earlier this year, Legacy Recordings proved it was possible to put together a career-spanning retrospective, even if the artist's discography—in this case, the late blues guitarist Mike Bloomfield—spanned several disconnected labels. Now, less than one month later, Legacy does it again with yet another bluesman who, over the years, has also lost much of the visibility and a lot of the commercial success he achieved from the late '60s through the '70s—a time when so much more seemed possible, and before so much music turned niche. The big difference, however, is that Johnny Winter remains alive to this day—the release of True to the Blues—The Johnny Winter Story coinciding, almost to the day, with his 70th birthday—unlike Bloomfield, who died too young in 1981 at the age of 37, under mysterious circumstances surrounding his increasing substance abuse.

True to the Blues—The Johnny Winter Story does, indeed, focus heavily on the albino Texan's first and most successful decade—and, most assuredly not coincidentally, the time when he was, also like Bloomfield, signed to Columbia Records, a label then prepared to put serious money behind him, and ultimately yield significant success. Still, this four-disc/four-and-a-half hour collection does manage to include, on the fourth CD, at least some representation of Winter's post-Columbia discography for labels like Alligator and Virgin, straight through to his 2011 Megaforce release, Roots. There's also a couple of tracks culled from The Progressive Blues Experiment, released by Liberty Records the same year as Winter's Columbia debut, Johnny Winter (1969), and which was, in actual fact, a demo recording—albeit a powerfully assured one that, combined with his first Columbia release, delivered a strong one-two punch that made clear the 25 year-old guitarist wasn't ascending towards arrival; he was already there.

Continue reading here...

True to form another great review. I always admire your writing John. Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    True to form another great review. I always admire your writing John. Nicely done.
    Thanks, man; it's very nice of you to say....
    Best!
    John

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Excellent review. Even if I were not a lifelong fan of Johnny Winter, I would be tempted to look into his music.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Excellent review. Even if I were not a lifelong fan of Johnny Winter, I would be tempted to look into his music.
    Wow, thanks, man; I love to hear that, as it' some of my objectives.....

Absolutely superb and comprehensive review! makes me want to buy that retrospective as an autobuy.

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    Absolutely superb and comprehensive review! makes me want to buy that retrospective as an autobuy.
    Again, thanks for the kind words - to you and to all who take the time to provide the feedback. It really is encouraging (and satisfying) to hear y'all say such kind things. I just sit in my office (the second bedroom of a two-bedroom condo) on the fifth floor, looking out at trees and the tops of old homes (it's a nice view) and write about what moves me. It's really great to hear that folks like the results.

Best!
    John

Great review......I love JW!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Great review......I love JW!!!!!
    Many thanks, Dan; I'd kinda lost touch with him but this box encouraged me, as did the Bloomfield box, to go back and pick up some titles I'd either never heard or hadn't heard for a long, long time. In both cases, it was definitely worth it.

Yes, indeed, a great write-up! Much appreciated by this die-hard JW fan who has seen him 13 times. The only thing I disagree with is that he has certainly lost a few steps over the years, which is not to take away anything from him or his legend. The man is a national treasure. The first white musician elected into the Blues Hall of Fame.

Too bad it's only four discs, because it leaves far too much off of it. Especially, the later stuff (but pre-1994), which is some of the best he ever did.

If any of you haven't already done so, I HIGHLY recommend his authorized biography "Raising' Cane." If interested, I can post my review of that one.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Was lucky enough to see him in a little club mid-70s. Ridiculous how good he was. Sad that he can't play at the same level but it is understandable. I saw Ray Charles a bounch of times very early 80s and he was unbelievable. Saw him again mid-90s and I couldn't believe how much he had lost. My wife loved it but after seeing him in excellent form it paled in comparison.

This set would be a great one to show people what an absolute master was like.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    This set would be a great one to show people what an absolute master was like.
    Greatest blues player ever, in my book. He would disagree, but his body of work speaks for itself.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"