Thread: Protecting Your Ears

Protecting Your Ears

After years of going to loud concerts regularly, I am starting to get concerned how this is affecting my ears. Not that anything is wrong, but I am starting to think that I should look into "playing it safe." Does anyone have advice on protecting their ears? Any stories to tell generally about this issue? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

Thanks, I missed that thread somehow. I will definitely read this original thread.

Library Jon

I just bought a set of Hear-O's today and am liking them so far...

What?? Huh? Can't hear you...

No joke here, but a few months back I went to my local Harbor Freight Tools and bought a few sets of these. Tried these out at a recent concert event that the radio station held, and they were amazing. These cut out at least 25 decibels, and by the time the night was over with, it was so nice to be able to leave the venue and not have my ears ringing from all the loud music... and these were dirt cheap too... if you are looking for something that is inexpensive, I can recommend these....

http://www.harborfreight.com/reusabl...l#.UxNDhfldUxg
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsout View Post
    No joke here, but a few months back I went to my local Harbor Freight Tools and bought a few sets of these. Tried these out at a recent concert event that the radio station held, and they were amazing. These cut out at least 25 decibels, and by the time the night was over with, it was so nice to be able to leave the venue and not have my ears ringing from all the loud music... and these were dirt cheap too... if you are looking for something that is inexpensive, I can recommend these....

http://www.harborfreight.com/reusabl...l#.UxNDhfldUxg
    Those work pretty well but the Hear-os seem to have a flatter frequency response, so music sounds more like it should. Most plugs attenuate the highs too harshly.

At 55 years old I started wearing hearing aids. The audiologist told me that because of the distribution of the frequency loss it probably wasn't from loud music and was more likely from repeated "concussive activity". I guess after playing football in high school, doing judo for 10 years, wrestling for 15, and playing rugby for 25, my head did get knocked around a lot.

I've been told that loud music won't really affect the loss unless I expose them to concert-level sound repeatedly so I feel safe.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau