Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Worst songs of the 80's

I've not seen the video, I meant the song.

I just saw that Billy Squier video on an earlier page. I'm somewhere between:

Another video I always found awful was that Bowie/Jagger 'Dancing In The Street'.

Another video I always found awful was that Bowie/Jagger 'Dancing In The Street'.
    Hospitals now use that one to induce vomiting
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Hospitals now use that one to induce vomiting
    I'm always too busy laughing to vomit.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Barely clad 80s ladies? What's not to love about it?
    The music, for one (and foremost)

Typical 80's syndrome where the images are used to sell the music because of lack of interesting sonic substance
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I much preferred the Stones' Harlem Shuffle of the following year

One of the rare case when I enjoyed MTV

Other Jagger strutting his shot tuff (case in point), but in the 70's

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Barely clad 80s ladies? What's not to love about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The music, for one (and foremost)
    Isn't that kind of like saying "I don't like this p0rn movie because of the story/plot?"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    One that always drove me up the wall due to its obnoxiousness was J Geils' Band's 'Centerfold'. Is it just me?
    According to IMDB, one of the girls in that video is Kristen Riter, who played the lead in the classic early 80's horror movie spoof Student Bodies (it was Scary Movie a decade and a half before Scary Movie, and it was funnier). Reportedly, Student Bodies was made in Texas, with scab labor, during a Hollywood strike, which is why you never Kristen and nearly all of her cast-mates in any other movies.

BTW, I must be the only person on the planet who actually likes the Freeze Frame album. Every time anyone mentions J Geils Band, and I mention that record (or Love Stinks, for that matter), the reaction is always "Oh, their 80's stuff was terrible, you gotta hear their early stuff", etc. I've played a quite a few songs off Freeze Frame on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice, not Centerfold or Freeze Frame itself (because those were "too big", and Freeze Frame was recently used in a TV commercial), but I've played Angel In Blue a couple times, I've played Flamethrower, Piss On The Wall, and I think one or two others. Good record, for what it is.

I need to get Love Stinks and that live album that came after Freeze Frame, so I can play Come Back Baby and that live version of Do I Do (which I think is way better than the studio version.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    the classic early 80's horror movie spoof Student Bodies (it was Scary Movie a decade and a half before Scary Movie, and it was funnier).
    I'll swear upon my horsehead bookend that you're correct. Written by Mickey Rose, who worked with Woody Allen in his salad days.

I love "Freeze Frame" for its big party-like horn section, but "Centerfold" is indeed kind of obnoxious.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    She's still very much on that album, though, and I think she even co-wrote a couple of songs, probably as a concession to her. But yeah, I think she could see the writing on the wall and just wanted to get enough money to leave. Despite Starship's success, there really wasn't a functional "band" to speak of, so there wasn't anything to keep going.

it basically deteriorated into "Mickey Thomas and a Bunch of Guys Who Wanted to Beat His Ass".
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    it basically deteriorated into "Mickey Thomas and a Bunch of Guys Who Wanted to Beat His Ass".
    Now it's turned into "Mickey Thomas and a Bunch of Guys Who Like a Paycheck."

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I'll swear upon my horsehead bookend that you're correct. Written by Mickey Rose, who worked with Woody Allen in his salad days.
    Yeah, he was the only writer to ever use the Alan Smithee credit (usually used when directors wanted their names taken off a movie that the studio had taken control of) because of the writers' strike.

Body count: 11
    No longer a suspect

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Now it's turned into "Mickey Thomas and a Bunch of Guys Who Like a Paycheck."
    pretty much.

the first incarnation of post Jefferson was "Basically Elvin Bishop without Elvin Bishop"
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    As for Nelson, yeah, they weren't very good, but their sister was hot (she was on a TV show called The Father Dowling Murders)
    Tracy Nelson is made of courage.

Nelson has survived three kinds of cancer. She was diagnosed with stage 2 Hodgkin's Lymphoma a month after her 1987 marriage to actor William R. Moses, and one year after her father was killed in a plane crash on New Year's Eve in DeKalb, Texas. Nelson went into remission after surgery, chemotherapy (ABVD) and radiation at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles, California. She and Moses divorced in 1997 and share a daughter, Remington Elizabeth Moses, born in 1992. Nelson had a son, Elijah Nelson Clark, with Chris Clark in 2001. Having suffered trauma from radiation, Nelson was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2005 and breast cancer in 2010. She is currently fully recovered from a bilateral mastectomy and complete reconstruction.
    The band, Nelson, recorded an instrumental ("Tracy's Song") that appears on their 1990 cd.

Nelson had some okay songs. I have a few of their albums and have seen them perform some shows. They have some good pop/rock tracks.