Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there any archival material left for any of our favorite artists ?

I know not prog but there has to be more tracks from Joe Walsh's live album "You Can't Argue...."

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Was that original

Which? The Jackson Tapes? They are on the bonus disc of the 1970-1975 box.
    WTH is on the extras DVD..It doesn't say....I have had the box set since its release and totally forgot about the extras discs.....

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    WTH is on the extras DVD..It doesn't say....I have had the box set since its release and totally forgot about the extras discs.....
    The 'Midnight Special' '73 performance of "Watcher" and "Musical Box", as well as a VH1 documentary from around the time of the first Archive box set, and a short batch of other quotes from the 2007 interviews, mostly about the actual boxes themselves, and mostly with Tony since he was the most involved. Those interviews on each of the album DVDs are just excellent IMO, I have enjoyed watching them quite a few times.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Was that original "Twilight Alehouse" the flexidisc given away in a magazine? And what are the differences in the endings of the other two tracks you mentioned?

Which? The Jackson Tapes? They are on the bonus disc of the 1970-1975 box.
    I've got that, didn't realize that's what it was called.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Like this:

Yeah I heard this a couple years ago when it was "unearthed". But there was a lot going on during that phase in their career. What's New Mary Jane was one example that was released on the Anthology series. I'm sure there's more...

I can think of at least 3 times when Nektar played live on tv from their early days back when Mick used to draw images on the slide plates.....pre-movies era. I would love to have one of those station release/find the material.
    Classic Nektar lives on @ http://www.thenektarproject.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Nope. These:

16 July, 1970. BBC’s Paris Theatre, London UK.
    Sounds of the Seventies: John Peel Show, BBC 1 Radio.
    Recorded on the 16th
    Broadcasted on 19july70 at 4:00 PM and
    rebroadcasted on 22jul70 at 6:00 PM
    “The Embryo” – 10:30
    “Fat Old Sun” – 5:00
    “Green Is The Colour”/”Careful with that Axe, Eugene” – 11:30
    “If” – 4:30
    “Atom Heart Mother” – 26:00
    Total time: 60:00

This is the only live performance of “If” by Pink Floyd, with Roger on acoustic guitar and Rick on bass and organ simultaneously (Roger did perform it numerous times on his solo tours). “Atom Heart Mother” was performed with the accompaniment of The Philip Jones Brass Ensemble.
    The Fat Old Sun is missing from the BBC transcription discs, and is only available because Floyd fans recorded the radio show all those years ago. The quality of this track is therefore less on the Mooed music ROIO. Most common RoIOs omit this song altogether.

30 September, 1971. BBC’s Paris Theatre, London UK.
    Recording for the John Peel Show, BBC 1 Radio
    Recorded on the 12th of October
    Broadcast at 10:00 pm
    “Embryo” – 10:30
    “Blues” – 5:00
    “Fat Old Sun” – 15:00
    “One of These Days” – 8:00
    “Echoes” – 28:00
    Total time: 68:00
    I think I have both of these listed as "Peel Sessions '70-'71" Track listing looks to be the same. Agree both very nice recordings. And while we are on Pink Floyd there's KQED that could be released on DVD and CD, and multiple tours could be released as live recordings.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I know not prog but there has to be more tracks from Joe Walsh's live album "You Can't Argue...."
    That one is so good, I have no use for the studio versions of those songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    VdGG were on TV more than one might think in the 70's.
    If PH could somehow release it, I would buy it all.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Long version of Helter Skelter?
    You mean the jams? From the website Beatles Bible ("not quite as popular as Jesus!"):

The Beatles recorded three takes of Helter Skelter, which were essentially rehearsals; they lasted 10'40", 12'35" and 27'11" respectively. An edited mix of take two was released on 1996's Anthology 3.

I'd LOVE to hear those.

If you want recordings of old Tangerine Dream cathedral shows hunt down the Tangerine Tree series of unofficial bootlegs. Although these are unofficial releases they were sanctioned by Mr Froese and there some unbelievable recordings in mostly superb quality. The entire series was 92 albums I think and nearly 300 hours of material. There was also the Tangerine Leaves series which was another large collection of bits and pieces but well worth finding. These were all fairly easy to find with a bit of web searching.

Yeah I heard this a couple years ago when it was "unearthed". But there was a lot going on during that phase in their career. What's New Mary Jane was one example that was released on the Anthology series. I'm sure there's more...
    Yeah, I heard some of this, including *Get Back* with the following lyric: "so-and-so was a Pakistani, get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged".

Lovely, ain't it? Fuck you, Paulie! Did you have an *Enoch Powell period*, too?

Quote Originally Posted by proggg View Post
    If you want recordings of old Tangerine Dream cathedral shows hunt down the Tangerine Tree series of unofficial bootlegs. Although these are unofficial releases they were sanctioned by Mr Froese and there some unbelievable recordings in mostly superb quality. The entire series was 92 albums I think and nearly 300 hours of material. There was also the Tangerine Leaves series which was another large collection of bits and pieces but well worth finding. These were all fairly easy to find with a bit of web searching.
    Thanks, yes I was aware of the TT, in fact several of the better recordings came from my tapes :-) I'm currently working behind the scenes with the guy who is restoring them on behalf of Esoteric for future bootleg boxes. Some of the TT recordings were processed to death, so he's trying to find folks like me with good old straight well preserved cassettes so he can do the job again properly... really I was just bemoaning the fact that any of this is necessary, and those cathedral recordings are heartbreakingly poor unfortunately.

It seems that Chris Franke was the band archivist, and that after his seemingly less than amicable split from the band, has had the tapes ever since, and what will he care now that he is a big Hollywood composer ? I think it's disappointing that Edgar Froese has kept up the pretense all these years of having his own archive of classic era recordings, whilst providing no evidence to support this.

I would recommend the forthcoming Esoteric Bootleg Boxes anyway... the best you're ever likely to hear unless anyone can persuade Herr Franke to check those old crates ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by PiscesPraematurus View Post
    I'd like to hear more about this...I assumed the vaults were pretty well dry...
    Lots of stuff. The full Hollywood Bowl concerts from 64 and 65. The original version of Revolution. The long version Helter Skelter. Carnival Of Light. Later takes of That Means A Lot. The version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps that was between the released demo and the album version with Clapton on lead. The long version of Something. The first version of I Should Have Known Better etc etc etc
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

There is still doubt that this is a fake. For one thing it does not fitbthe describtion of it from Mark Lewisohns studio sessions book. And he is one of the few people in the world who has actually heard it.

There is also some ok versions of The Beatles doing All Things Must Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    Isn't there a 12" mix of Its Gonna Get Better ? Not That this is a great prize...but for those of us that want it all....
    Yes, the 12" versions of Mama and It's Gonna Get Better are longer than the album versions. They are not remixes but the original recordings before they were edited down for the album. I didn't include them because they have appeared on 3" and 5" CD singles.

Was that original "Twilight Alehouse" the flexidisc given away in a magazine? And what are the differences in the endings of the other two tracks you mentioned?
    Yes it's that version of Twilight Alehouse, which also appeared on the B-side of the I Know What I Like single.

It's yourself: originally didn't fade out, ended with a swirling synth line that gradually slowed down to play the first five notes of Mad Man Moon. This ending has always been removed from all subsequent releases of the song.

Submarine: apparently the original master tape was damaged towards the end of the song, so on Archive 2, they duplicated the middle part of the song and tacked it at the end, with a fade out. The song originally had a clean ending, which you can hear on the 76-82 box set, except that version has been remixed.

I never came across the material Hendrix and the experience recorded with Hanson and Karlsson, it still rest in the vaults of silence records.
    the drums duo combined with Jimmy and Bo sounds incredible in my mind

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Yeah, I heard some of this, including *Get Back* with the following lyric: "so-and-so was a Pakistani, get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged".

Lovely, ain't it? Fuck you, Paulie! Did you have an *Enoch Powell period*, too?
    In fact, the same day they played the "No Pakistanis" version of "Get Back," Paul had led the band in a song making fun of Enoch Powell. This puts it in some context:

It's also obvious from this that Paul hadn't written any real lyrics yet and was just making this up off the top of his head, riffing on what was in the headlines at the time. (The UK was in the middle of the conference of Commonwealth countries to discuss proposals for "repatriation" of Indian & Pakistani immigrants.) Do you think George, with his newfound love of Indian culture--and who was already fed up with the Beatles and Paul in particular, and would walk out on the band the next day-- would have stood for it if Paul were really taking a swipe at Pakistanis?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    I'm actually interested in the Wish you were here stuff, especially the live versions.
    Well, the boxset gave the Crazy Diamond (minus the Dicj Pary Sesction), Dogs and Sheeps... pretty interesting

I'd be definitely for early and mid-70's Floyd (despite that I've already got a bunch of boots), though I have heard some concerts of the DSOTMtour where they sound like a blues band (and not a good one at that, too)

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    I think there is probably a ton of stuff. As a Genesis live obsessive, there are endless full concerts on multi track tapes that have never seen an official release, along with all of the BBC sessions.
    Not an obsessive hunter anymore... a lot of my thirst had been quenched with some boots and the green boxsets bonus DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I've heard that Soft Machine still has some - including video - but that it's tied up in licensing issues.
    I'd definitely be up for more Soft stuff (got a lot of stuff, all legit), including some more French TV stuff that Steve has given up on, because the fuckheads are asking disgusting prices
    Edit: I see Steve posted on this before I answered.
    Last edited by Trane; 12-01-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I picked up the Asia 30th Anniversary box set from Japan and the 1982 tour 16mm footage is PRICELESS. It appears to be from Steve Howe and it shows the band performing onstage (shot from about 6-8 feet away from Steve and behind Carl's drum set), traveling on planes and in limos, it pretty killer even if it isn't the greatest quality. Pus, there is the Pine Knob concert from 1983.

I know, I know. Some of you aren't Asia fans. But for those that are - check it out. The material is not included on the US version of the box set that will be released on Dec 20th.

Edit for link: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VQBD-10112

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    I picked up the Asia 30th Anniversary box set from Japan and the 1982 tour 16mm footage is PRICELESS. It appears to be from Steve Howe and it shows the band performing onstage (shot from about 6-8 feet away from Steve and behind Carl's drum set), traveling on planes and in limos, it pretty killer even if it isn't the greatest quality. Pus, there is the Pine Knob concert from 1983.

I know, I know. Some of you aren't Asia fans. But for those that are - check it out. The material is not included on the US version of the box set that will be released on Dec 20th.
    Annoying that this is only available in one market in a large and expensive combo, when the band could simply have released the documentary + this material in a standalone DVD.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Neil Kernon is sitting on about 10 hours worth of unreleased recordings they made in NYC.
    There's got to be something good in there to release, you'd think.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Annoying that this is only available in one market in a large and expensive combo, when the band could simply have released the documentary + this material in a standalone DVD.

Henry
    Only Time Will Tell... ba-da-boomp... pishhhhh! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Maybe it will find it's way to another collection or worse yet YT. It is truly shocking how much is readily available on YT these days.

There is a live show from Montreal 1983 up there already:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5745_iV7AEo

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'd enjoy hearing that ambient thingy that PF apparently did alongside 'Division Bell.'

Say wha?!!!! Never heard of this. I'd love to hear it!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally