Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Great albums that need a CD reissue, or just plain issued on CD period

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    OK. None of the US vendors I looked at had replicated options under 300 units. Ken has said the same thing, so this seems to be the general norm. Some manufacturers may be willing to go lower, but as you say, they get expensive and not very profitable. It still seems to me a run of 300 makes more sense, especially for something like that Rascal Reporters CD where you could reasonably expect to sell more than 100.

Bill
    In terms of profit and per-unit cost yes, 300 definitely would have made more sense. However, honestly did not expect to sell out of the 100 CDs as soon as we did and thought it was a reasonable amount. RRs are still fairly underground even within prog circles and my experience with the band so far led me to believe that 100 would be something we could just about pull off. Very happy with how the album has ended up performing but it's hard to predict that before it rolls out!

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    I got them made by pure-music.co.uk who did a run of 100 for me. it was expensive and not very profitable but I did not anticipate to sell many copies and did it just so that there was some sort of physical edition for those who like them.
    I would have preferred vinyl personally but that is too prohibitively expensive when there's no guarantee of sales!
    Actually, out of curiosity, if you're willing to share, what was your total cost for a run of 100 replicated CDs? I think that would be extremely illuminating as far as the economics of mirco runs of reissues. Someone asked this very question, and I speculated about $6.00 per disc (around $600 total, give or take depending on packaging), but recognized I could be way off because I couldn't find anyone who does a run that small.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Actually, out of curiosity, if you're willing to share, what was your total cost for a run of 100 replicated CDs? I think that would be extremely illuminating as far as the economics of mirco runs of reissues. Someone asked this very question, and I speculated about $6.00 per disc (around $600 total, give or take depending on packaging), but recognized I could be way off because I couldn't find anyone who does a run that small.

Bill
    I'll private message you. Essentially your estimate is about right!
    Last edited by auxfnx; 09-16-2023 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I still wish this Album to be on CD

Iguazu - s/t (Dominic Miller of Sting's band)
    I just discovered this album - a friend sent me some mp3 files. What a massive gem. Too bad there is no CD release for this one. Absolutely fantastic stuff, as far as I'm concerned.

Melodic Energy Commission (from Vancouver, BC): their first two have never seen the CD format.

Full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xsq...uWo4kY9tWQyhVB

First album:
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Some of his CD's are available, some others no longer (or only s/h = very expensive), and others were never issued. It's very hard to gather a complete collection of his works on CD.
    I would really appreciate a DAVID BEDFORD "Complete Works" CD Boxset.
    Same for ISAO TOMITA whose discography availability is erratic at best, incomplete, and sometimes very expensive. I know there was a (Japanese) boxset years ago but it is discontinued/ n.l.a.
    ... and (repost) EBERHARD SCHOENER's complete works.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Melodic Energy Commission (from Vancouver, BC): their first two have never seen the CD format.

Full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xsq...uWo4kY9tWQyhVB

First album:
    You need this in your life!

https://www.discogs.com/release/5491...ase-Compendium

Contains both albums minus one two-minute track. (If you really want that one it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC9Vrd_MMxo )

If you want the best price you can get it directly from them: https://melodicenergy.com/sales2.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Some of his CD's are available, some others no longer (or only s/h = very expensive), and others were never issued. It's very hard to gather a complete collection of his works on CD.
    I would really appreciate a DAVID BEDFORD "Complete Works" CD Boxset.
    Same for ISAO TOMITA whose discography availability is erratic at best, incomplete, and sometimes very expensive. I know there was a (Japanese) boxset years ago but it is discontinued/ n.l.a.
    ... and (repost) EBERHARD SCHOENER's complete works.

Yup, Bedford's CD are difficult to find (the Médiathèque had a couple back in the P44 days, others were in CC in Auderghem - have no idea if the ruins of the institutions still have any BD, though) indeed.

As for Tomita, lots of later days albums are (IMHO) expendable (not essential), but indeed the first three (Snowflakes, Pictures and Firebird) are awesome enough to have still-available Cd (I've got the vinyls still)

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    You need this in your life!

https://www.discogs.com/release/5491...ase-Compendium

Contains both albums minus one two-minute track. (If you really want that one it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC9Vrd_MMxo )

If you want the best price you can get it directly from them: https://melodicenergy.com/sales2.html
    I got the vinyl reprint of the Snails, but still looking for their debut on-sale on this side of the Pond (outside UK, of course) to avoid hefty taxes.

Not sure the 90/00's stuff is that essential, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    I just discovered this album - a friend sent me some mp3 files. What a massive gem. Too bad there is no CD release for this one. Absolutely fantastic stuff, as far as I'm concerned.
    Yes it is superb latin fusion, love this album

^^Looks like Dominic Miller recorded a rework of the title-track of the Iguazu-LP on his album Fourth Wall: https://www.discogs.com/release/9904...er-Fourth-Wall

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Yes it is superb latin fusion, love this album

I think that YT clip is missing one track. Here is a 39 minutes clip that may contain the entire album:

I got the vinyl reprint of the Snails, but still looking for their debut on-sale on this side of the Pond (outside UK, of course) to avoid hefty taxes.

Not sure the 90/00's stuff is that essential, though.
    Sure, I was just pointing out that their first two HAVE seen the CD format. If you want them individually on vinyl that is your call.

Sure, I was just pointing out that their first two HAVE seen the CD format. If you want them individually on vinyl that is your call.
    I'd take the CD anyday over the vinyls, but didn't find them on Discogs or Cds&Lps

RYM doesn't mention CDs either , to my knowledge

But if you know something more than I do ...

Looking for the first two Pascal Languirand albums as well.

A David Bedford cd box set is my dream release however I do have the following on cd:
    Nurses Song With Elephants
    Star's End
    Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
    The Odyssey
    The Odyssey Live
    Instructions For Angels
    Star Cluster & Nebula /Song Of The White Horse
    Rigel 9
    Great Equatorial
    Recorder Concerto/12 Hours Of Sunset
    The Music Of David Bedford

On pre order...12 Hours Of Sunset

It took many years to find these...but a box set would still be the most important purchase to me. Especially if it included a booklet with his history and lots of unreleased material.

I'd take the CD anyday over the vinyls, but didn't find them on Discogs or Cds&Lps

RYM doesn't mention CDs either , to my knowledge

But if you know something more than I do ...

Looking for the first two Pascal Languirand albums as well.
    The link I shared with you, its a compilation called Moon Phase Compendium that has both albums on it (minus the one track, as I mentioned).

I don't think the early Languirands got on CD.

The link I shared with you, its a compilation called Moon Phase Compendium that has both albums on it (minus the one track, as I mentioned).

I don't think the early Languirands got on CD.
    OK, I had checked out the first two links and forgot about the third

Yeah, maybe I'll see into that MPC release, thx.

yes, I know none of the first three Languirand never got a reissue (of any kind)
    Last edited by Trane; 1 Week Ago at 10:17 AM.

Soft Machine - Triple Echo has never been available on CD. A great compliation album.

i wish Tull would rerelease the Steven Wilson mix of Minstrel in the same book-like format as A and TaaB. missed that one.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    i wish Tull would rerelease the Steven Wilson mix of Minstrel in the same book-like format as A and TaaB. missed that one.
    It has been rereleased and is easily available: https://www.discogs.com/release/6982...e-%C3%89dition

I already mentioned it, but this one should really be re-issued on CD. (it was many years ago, but not legit.)

MICHAEL BUNDT: "Just Landed Cosmic Kid"

And why not a "complete works" CD boxset including the above and "Neon", "Electri-City", and "Dreamdancer". (MIG, if you're reading this... please !)
    Only "Electri-City" is currently available on CD and (IMO) it's not his best.

Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 1 Week Ago at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunamis View Post
    It has been rereleased and is easily available: https://www.discogs.com/release/6982...e-%C3%89dition
    thanx for that.. but wasn't there more of a stripped down version after the full version went out of print?
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel