Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joni Mitchell

Loved her music up to Hejira in 76, which was her last great album IMO. After that Don Juan and Mingus showed that she had lost her grip on pop/rock music and that the jazz bits she'd started incorporating into her music back in the 70s was now fully her main genre. Then that run of awful Geffen albums from Wild Things in 82 thru to Night Ride Home in 91 confirmed, to me at any rate, that she should have given up after Mingus in 79. Added to that is the fact that at some point in the 90s it was clear her voice had changed drastically, unfortunately.

My 'alf doz favs:
    1. Blue
    2. Ladies of the Canyon
    3. Clouds
    4. Song to a Seagull
    5. Court and Spark
    6. For the Roses

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Loved her music up to Hejira in 76, which was her last great album IMO. After that Don Juan and Mingus showed that she had lost her grip on pop/rock music and that the jazz bits she'd started incorporating into her music back in the 70s was now fully her main genre.
    I just listened to Don Juan's Reckless Daughter today and really enjoyed it. When I first heard it I had a few WTF moments I must admit. the "straight" tracks are pretty good - I probably like the title song best. the experimental tracks like The Tenth World and Dreamland - I have to be in the mood.

I didn't like Mingus much though. An interesting concept, but not one that worked for me.

Dog Eat Dog is the only "later" Joni that I own. I got it mainly on the strength of Good Friends; that song, Fiction and Ethiopia are really the only tracks that make it worth having, the rest was a disappointment.

I like her jazzy-pop period the most, like Hijera and Hissing, but not her experimental jazz stuff like Don Juan or Mingus. I've got to say that I think I've got them all, mostly on vinyl, but some on CD.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    mostly on vinyl
    I've got everything on vinyl from her debut up to Night Ride Home, with the exception of live albums. I rarely buy live albums by any artist. I just don't like them.

"Way OT. (Let's not hijack the thread)"

No doubt. The OP starts a thread to deliberately talk about her MUSIC because there is another thread about her health already and damned if a few of you totally ignore that and carry on about all that here too. Are you all selfish or just not very aware?

I was never much of a fan, but I am currently reading Grahm Nash's book and just got to the point where he and Joni got together. Very interesting book so far.

I always had a hard time with her voice as it always kind of sounded like chalk on a blackboard to me, but she has written some great songs over the years.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post
    Many doctors recognize Morgellons.
    Except they call it something like a manifestation of delusional parasitosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The OP starts a thread to deliberately talk about her MUSIC because there is another thread about her health already and damned if a few of you totally ignore that and carry on about all that here too. Are you all selfish or just not very aware?
    The tongue can't resist poking the sore tooth.

Court and Spark and Hissing were the peaks for me! Hejira was a decline, IMHO, because of the samey nature of the material. A couple of great tracks, but a lot of bland repetition. She was a true innovator and great musician! My favorite track by her is Harry's House/Centerepiece. What a great song, with great ensemble playing by my favorite of Joni's bands! She's unmatched as a lyricist, too!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    My favorite track by her is Harry's House/Centerepiece. What a great song, with great ensemble playing by my favorite of Joni's bands! She's unmatched as a lyricist, too!
    I agree about being a great lyricist. Whatever you may think of the Don Juan album, the song "Talk To Me" is an absolute cracker, mainly due to the lyrics. I have several times burst out laughing at this song - not something I normally expect to do in my listening sessions.

"Coyote" (from Hejira) also has great lyrics. It's like an entire novel within one song.

And you're right about Harry's House/Centerpiece. there is something eerie and oddly disturbing about this song. in the liner notes she hints at some kind of story behind it, but she leaves us guessing.

Helicopter lands on the PanAm roof
    Like a dragonfly on a tomb
    How does anyone come up with a lyric like that?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was never much of a fan, but I am currently reading Grahm Nash's book and just got to the point where he and Joni got together. Very interesting book so far.
    I assume you know then that the CS&N song "Our House", written by Nash, refers to his relationship with Joni Mitchell. One of the "two cats in the yard" belonged to Joni.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 04-22-2014 at 12:38 PM.

My favorite track by her is Harry's House/Centerepiece.
    You do realize that "Centerpiece" is a cover tune, right? It was written by Harry Edison and Jon Hendricks and originally done by the jazz vocal group, Lambert, Hendricks and Ross. Joni was obviously a fan; "Twisted" (written by Annie Ross) was also one of their tunes.

No, I didn't know that! I bow to your superior jazz knowledge, Ernie!

No, I didn't know that! I bow to your superior jazz knowledge, Ernie!
    It's far from "superior," but I know a thing or two. I'm not sure Lambert, Hendricks and Ross invented "vocalese" (putting lyrics to some jazz player's improvised solo), but they were famous for it. Some of their lyrics were pretty darn funny; "Twisted" is a good example of that.

Huge fan
    The albums with Jaco are my favorites - Joni & Jaco what a combination

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Huge fan
    The albums with Jaco are my favorites - Joni & Jaco what a combination
    Yah! I think Joni's music brought out a side of Jaco's playing that wasn't often heard elsewhere. His playing on "Refuge of the Roads" is so lyrically beautiful that it can reduce you to tears!

Count me as a fan...she's one to follow her muse. I respect and admire that.
    My faves are the more experimental ones with Jaco, Don Alias, etc.--Don Juan's has my favorite recorded bass note ever...the very first bass note in Overture, I've listened to that over and over again....I love Mingus, as well....her interpretation of the sax solo in Goodbye PorkPie Hat is very cool. Joni, by the way, never considered herself a "Folk Musician." I heard her on NPR a while back, and she identifies with the Jazz tradition......

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'm not sure Lambert, Hendricks and Ross invented "vocalese"
    They didn't. Invented by Eddie Jefferson and other early adopters were Babs Gonzales and King Pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    but they were famous for it.
    Absolutely. They were extremely good at it. Better than the actual inventors, imo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post

I assume you know then that the CS&N song "Our House", written by Nash, refers to his relationship with Joni Mitchell. One of the "two cats in the yard" belonged to Joni.
    Yes, I actually just saw CSN a couple of weeks ago. They did the song and Graham told the story of how he came to write it.

Suspended
    Update: I finally got to hear Turbulent Indigo and was surprised at how good it is. Certainly much better than the batch of albums that preceded it. "Sex Kills" is a killer of a song. And her cover of "How Do You Stop" is excellent, giving James Brown a serious run for his money.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Update: I finally got to hear Turbulent Indigo and was surprised at how good it is. Certainly much better than the batch of albums that preceded it. "Sex Kills" is a killer of a song. And her cover of "How Do You Stop" is excellent, giving James Brown a serious run for his money.
    Agreed. A fine album. Wild Things Run Fast is an excellent album as well, from early 80s era.

I'm a big fan. I've followed all her recordings up and including the live album "Shadows and Light" (1980).

My faves.

Blue (desert island disc)
    The Hissing of Summer Lawns
    Clouds
    Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
    Mingus
    Hejira
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I discovered her with Wild Things Run Fast. Still a favorite and I find her last few albums very good as well. Over the years, I've picked up all of her records. I like her for the same reasons I like Dylan and Van Morrison. She refuses to play the game. Does things her own way.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Side 1 of Court and Spark is a perfect thing.

I travelled around Europe with Hejira and a girl from New Zealand in 1989. When she went to the US and I went to Italy, I kept Hejira.

'Edith and the Kingpin' and 'The Boho Zone' have that mix of drama and insight and intimacy that Joni did better than anyone.

I don't know how Jackson Browne can walk outside after hearing 'Not to Blame'.

I'm a fan.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I only have "Ladies Of The Canyon" and it rates among my favorite records.Music as poetry, poetry as music galore.Some of her lyrics are just "beyond category".'For Free',musically and lyrically, is sublime.

I think "Blue" belongs in my life,i've read high praise for it over the years, here and elsewhere.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Suspended
    I'm currently listening to Shine, and am also rather impressed with that album. Taming the Tiger, not so much - some decent songs, but it seems to lack the spark of Turbulent indigo.