Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "Hush" was all over the radio here in Ohio in the 70s. I would never view it as a deep cut.
    Deep cut or not, Lord's solo smokes!

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    Fact.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    As my Navy boot camp assistant company commander said about base CO Captain Lord: "Don't f*** with God!"
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Hush was a big radio hit in the south, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Hush was a big radio hit in the south, too.
    Naturally. South wrote it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I can't find a clip on youtube, but the Apple iPhone 15 ads running right now are using Anna Meredith's "Nautilus" as backing music.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I heard Can's "Moonshake" in a TV commercial tonight. I actually shouted out, "THEY'RE PLAYING CAN!"
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I heard Can's "Moonshake" in a TV commercial tonight. I actually shouted out, "THEY'RE PLAYING CAN!"
    That's funny [emoji23]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Yesterday I heard Hocus Pocus from Focus in an episode of the childrens program The really Loud house on Nickelodeon.

How many children would have recognised it?
    Last edited by Rarebird; 12-09-2023 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Yesterday I heard Hocus Pocus from Focus in an episode of the childrens program The really Loud house on Nickelodeon.

How many children would have recognised it?
    Outside your home country? Not many.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

True story. I was at an antique shop today and there was a box of albums sorted in alphabetical order. I saw a Genesis album in the Phil Collins section.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    True story. I was at an antique shop today and there was a box of albums sorted in alphabetical order. I saw a Genesis album in the Phil Collins section.
    No way! I don't believe it!

I remember back in the late 80s or so I was at this flea market kind of place and one of the sellers (or stores) had a box of albums. I remember seeing Genesis (selling England and Lamb I think) and also some King Crimson in there (ITWOP but I don't remember what else).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 01-15-2024 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    One of these days, I need to chronicle all of the bootleg uses of prog tracks in the soundtracks of Chinese and Turkish movies. Master of Flying Guillotine is the most [in]famous example, with all the NEU! and Tangerine Dream stuff (Quentin Tarantino even stole—sorry “paid homage to”—this in one of his films). I was extremely surprised when I finally saw the infamous Category III trash-terpiece Lewd Lizard and found both Mahavishnu Orchestra’s “Vision Is a Naked Sword” and ELP’s “The Endless Enigma, Part I” on the soundtrack. The latter turned up again in Şeytan (PG-rated Turkish rip-off of The Exorcist with an Islamic theme).

Wish I could remember the name of the chop-socky flick which used the Einstein in Eden album on it’s soundtrack—how did something so obscure even find its way to Hong Kong?
    Bootleg Soundtracks.

The film I was thinking of that featured Bernhard Jobski's Einstein in Eden was called Dragon Against Vampire. And it's actually a Korean production. Some Tangerine Dream stuff (Rubycon and Force Majeure) also turns up on the soundtrack. Note that this is not a recommendation for the movie, I remember it being pretty bad!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Well, in a Dutch childrens series they used a theme from Tubular Bells several times.

My wife and I went to Arby's for some roast beef. The overhead speakers were halfway through 'Funk #49' - James Gang; then comes ... 'Long Distance Runaround' followed by 'The Fish'! Even with the basic speakers used, it was cool to pick out Squire's bass. The four snowboarders in the corner could not care less; the same age as us couple seemed oblivious.
    Hey, I was digging it.
    It was starting 'Blinded By The Light' - Manfred Mann while we were leaving.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    One of the best covers ever.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    My wife and I went to Arby's for some roast beef. The overhead speakers were halfway through 'Funk #49' - James Gang; then comes ... 'Long Distance Runaround' followed by 'The Fish'! Even with the basic speakers used, it was cool to pick out Squire's bass. The four snowboarders in the corner could not care less; the same age as us couple seemed oblivious.
    Hey, I was digging it.

Most people couldn't care less about music in public or at least act as though they don't care. I'm hardpressed to think of even one time when someone made a comment in a store or some other public place. Part of it could be they don't recognize the music or they are just not "music people." I know us prog fans are very well aware of the music playing when we go out even if it's not prog or proggy.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 01-18-2024 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Most people could care less ...
    "Couldn't" care less. Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

^^ Mine is people who say "I'm the world's worst procrastinator", when they actually mean they are the world's BEST procrastinator.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    ^^ Mine is people who say "I'm the world's worst procrastinator", when they actually mean they are the world's BEST procrastinator.
    Perhaps you should ask them if they do everything as soon as they are asked to.

Our Weis grocery stores play classic rock and I couldn't be happier. I usually hear something decent in my trips there.

This as opposed to our last trip to the Fort Meade PX, where out of 1 corner of the building was blasting some god awful hip hop / rap /dance or whatever you could classify that crap. Made for a miserable time there.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    “I’ve Seen All Good People” by Yes – "This prog rock hit plays over the opening titles and into the opening scene of Fargo’s season 5 premiere. Dot is arrested for unwittingly tazing a police officer during a brawl at a meeting of the town’s fall festival planning committee."

Not prog but I heard Mr. Spaceman by the Byrds the other day in a grocery store. Kind of an unusual choice but it would have been even weirder if it was "I see you" from the same album which was covered by you know who.

The recent sighting of a Kikagaku Moyo CD at Value Village (a Salvation Army-style thrift store) seemed pretty darn unlikely.

I saw an (autographed!) Unexpect CD at the same store about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    The recent sighting of a Kikagaku Moyo CD at Value Village (a Salvation Army-style thrift store) seemed pretty darn unlikely.

I saw an (autographed!) Unexpect CD at the same store about a year ago.
    I saw a Tangerine Dream cd at a thrift store about a year ago or so. I'm not sure why I didn't pick it up. Maybe it was scratched or something.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)