Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

I forgot to mention that I once saw a guy driving past me who was playing Rush in his car. It was something from Hemispheres(I believe La Villa Strangiato). Normallly hearing RUSH wouldn't be so unusual but La Villa Strangiato or anything from Hemisphere's would be and it took me by surprise.

I did NOT know that was Joan Labarbara!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were on vacation in Colorado, driving toward Denver, when we decided to get something to eat and found a pretty highly rated Vietnamese restaurant in Evergreen (who knew?). The atmosphere in the restaurant was very nice, but I was really surprised to hear the music they were playing. It's was some sort of jazz fusion, but not the muzak-y kind, more like the kind displaying lots of virtuoso playing and containing several "unpleasant" chord changes that one doesn't normally associate with the idea of background music.

Probably what makes all this seem unusual to me is that it seems Vietnamese restaurants are almost always playing popular Vietnamese music (although the year of origin of that music can vary wildly).
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 05-28-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I always mention this in these threads, but in 1986 news woman Connie Chung had a network newsmagazine show called "1986," and the theme music was Rush's "Mystic Rhythm," though I never saw them credited.
    Does anyone else remember it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I did NOT know that was Joan Labarbara!!
    You mean the Sesame Street thing? Yeah, I didn't know it until a few years ago, either. I actually watched Sesame Street when I was little, so I saw those films, the signing alphabet one, the Phillip Glass one, and the "Nobody" counting things with the synthesizer effects quite often. Maybe that's why I'm so weird now, because exposed to that stuff as a kindergartener.

I do.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You mean the Sesame Street thing? Yeah, I didn't know it until a few years ago, either. I actually watched Sesame Street when I was little, so I saw those films, the signing alphabet one, the Phillip Glass one, and the "Nobody" counting things with the synthesizer effects quite often. Maybe that's why I'm so weird now, because exposed to that stuff as a kindergartener.
    I remember seeing Philip Glass on SNL as a musical guest back in the mid eighties or so. I'm not sure if I knew who he was at the time but for some reason I remember it. He must have been one of the most unusual guests on that show. I know FZ was on in the seventies but only saw that one in re runs. I also remember around the same time as the Philip Glass appearance they had a horror spoof sketch called "the fruiting" with different fruits coming to life and attacking people. That was pretty funny. I remember the credits saying "music by Tangerine Dream" not to mention "starring Jack Lemon." If they waited maybe another ten years they could have added Halle Berry to the fake credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I remember seeing Philip Glass on SNL as a musical guest back in the mid eighties or so. I'm not sure if I knew who he was at the time but for some reason I remember it. He must have been one of the most unusual guests on that show.
    They had both Sun Ra and Ornette Coleman on during the 70's. Devo also appeared on the show back in the early days too. I've never seen the Sun Ra appearance, but apparently, they had to fade music out, because they had to go to a commercial, and I'm sure it comes as no surprise that Ra doesn't play to a stop watch.

I forgot to mention that I once saw a guy driving past me who was playing Rush in his car. It was something from Hemispheres(I believe La Villa Strangiato). Normallly hearing RUSH wouldn't be so unusual but La Villa Strangiato or anything from Hemisphere's would be and it took me by surprise.

prog in the car next to mine is hardly unlikely (IMHO), because anyone can play classic rock radio...

Our CRS sometimes play some highly unlikely tunes that you'd get surprised in a store that you'd hear something wld... Sure enough, they had selected Classic 21

One day at lunch time, I heard Dogs blaring out from a car... Intrigued, I popped my CD out of the car deck and tuned to my CRS, and sure enough, they were the culprit
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just today I was walking in the mall and I happened to walk past a store that was playing some interesting music. I turned around and walked back in and asked the guy who was working there what was playing. He told me it was Mahavishnu Orchestra. I asked him if it was "Inner Mounting Flame"(which was a guess)and he said yeah. I told him I own the cd but haven't listened to it yet. We then had about a five minute conversation about music. It turns out this guy who had long hair and a long beard was not only a musician himself but also knew some prog bands like Ozric Tentacles, PT, KC etc. I was in a store in Philly one time where the guy was playing Return to Forever also. It's always nice to know there are some people aside from those we encounter online who have good taste in music.

One more thing that popped into my head even though I didn't actually hear any music being played. Several years ago I was at an old friends house and took a peek at the cassettes on the shelf belonging to my friend's housemate. I was rather surprised to see some Eloy in there(I don't remember specific titles though). It turns out his friend was in the army and stationed in Germany so that makes sense but it still took me off guard.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 05-27-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Court of the Crimson King
    from the movie Children of Men (good movie if you haven't seen it)

Well I for one don't consider it out of place or unusual if a prog song is in a movie but that's just me. I can see how others might feel it qualifies though. As far as children of men goes I just feel "court" is very much out of place in that movie and it doesn't belong. Again I'm sure that's just me though.

....As far as children of men goes I just feel "court" is very much out of place in that movie and it doesn't belong. Again I'm sure that's just me though.
    That's why I posted it. Not exactly a song that fits a movie, let alone that movie.

I once saw a pr0n scene, starring Nikki Dial, the background music was "Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day"
    It's a spoonerism

If you can find Junkyard & The Rabbit: episode #101 'The Lonesome Road' you'll get to hear a bizarre cover of "Bike" from the Floyd's 'Piper..." album. If you have Roku, it's on the Drive-in Escape channel.

Wait did anyone mention Buffalo 66? That had Heart Of The Sunrise playing in the strip club scene. There was a song off the first Crimson album in there too, I can't remember which one, one of the ballads, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were on vacation in Colorado, driving toward Denver, when we decided to get something to eat and found a pretty highly rated Vietnamese restaurant in Evergreen (who knew?). The atmosphere in the restaurant was very nice, but I was really surprised to hear the music they were playing. It's was some sort of jazz fusion, but not the muzak-y kind, more like the kind displaying lots of virtuoso playing and containing several "unpleasant" chord changes that one doesn't normally associate with the idea of background music.

Probably what makes all this seem unusual to me is that it seems Vietnamese restaurants are almost always playing popular Vietnamese music (although the year of origin of that music can vary wildly).
    Maybe it was Nguyen Le. He's a Vietnamese jazz/fusion guitar player (although he was born and raised in France). He sometimes mixes his Vietnamese roots into his otherwise American sounding fusion. And he's really good, btw!

BTW, "unpleasant chord changes" made me smile. Many of the chords that I initially thought were ugly when I first started learning about jazz sound very pleasant to me now. As with many things, it's an acquired taste.
    Last edited by No Pride; 06-03-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wait did anyone mention Buffalo 66? That had Heart Of The Sunrise playing in the strip club scene. There was a song off the first Crimson album in there too, I can't remember which one, one of the ballads, I think.
    I saw it once. Yeah, there was a scene with Christina Ricci tapdancing to "moonchild" in a bowling alley. "Sweetness" from the first YES album was featured in the closing credits. I think this movie is worth owning if you are a prog fan just for the novelty factor of having a prog soundtrack.

I remember it well.

Walked into "Trader Joe's" on Sunday (they're a high quality food grocery store) and they had Yes' "Siberian Khatru" playing through the sound system. From the last live album with Benoit singing! (I know, I know.)
    Yesterday saw a guy in Penn Station with a KC "Red" shirt on, thought that was cool.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Don't know if it counts as prog but I saw a woman wearing one of these in Edinburgh on Saturday:

kcacomms.jpg

Don't think there were a lot of people who would have 'got it'!

Children Of Men Also had the big Pink Floyd pig floating in the background of one of the scenes.
    Last edited by Tim35; 08-14-2014 at 02:15 AM.

United States Air Force - "Aerospace Power"

USAF film from 1977 demonstrating the latest planes, bombs, missiles, and more with a prog soundtrack ! Six Wives, Journey to the Center and more. Ever see F 15s and F 16s flying, B 52s bombing with CTTE playing in the background ?? Now you have !

Prog in a very unlikely place !! --- https://archive.org/details/gov.archives.arc.573287

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    United States Air Force - "Aerospace Power"
    USAF film from 1977 demonstrating the latest planes, bombs, missiles, and more with a prog soundtrack ! Six Wives, Journey to the Center and more. Ever see F 15s and F 16s flying, B 52s bombing [I]with CTTE playing in the background ??
    Cool! Historic too, as the F15 and A10 became important staples in the AF. I love these kind of films, thanks for sharing.