Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

I'm in a sports bar in Florida, and I'm hearing Starship Trooper on the house music

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    Bringing the thread back to the original observation:

This raised a long-time question in my mind: Are prog fans more intelligent than non-prog-fans? Or do prog fans perceive themselves to be more intelligent than non-prog-fans?

That discussion probably deserves a separate thread (though a discussion of the merits of American late-night talk show hosts certainly does as well, not to mention a separate forum).

I offer the following reminiscence from some time in the early 1970s: an observation by Steve Simels writing in Stereo Review magazine in which he disdained fans of progressive rock and ELP in particular, calling them kids who had recently graduated from Grank Funk Railroad and were overcompensating by their devotion to "good" music.

That hurt at the time, but the fact is that traditional prog (ELP/Yes/Genesis) had been the target of almost everyone: rock fans who believed in the traditional 3-chord Saturday Night function of rock 'n' roll; classical and jazz fans who looked down their noses at rock listeners; and fans of avant-garde rock (Zappa/Beefheart/Canterbury/Henry Cow/etc.) who regarded their personal favorites as the "real" progressive music.

I was glad to come upon this forum as it is populated by fans of both traditional "prog" and avant-garde (as well as encompassing lots of artists on the borderline) and I haven't detected any snobbery or rejection of any of the various forms. In fact, many of us enjoy both traditional and avant-garde prog, as well as authentic classical and jazz.

But do we think we are smarter than the average music listener? Whether that means intellectually, musically or sociologically. Perhaps some of us did so in our youth. But we were so much older then...
    1) No

2) Yes (not the band)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I can't stand him. He's like a giggling six-year-old with his guests half the time. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I find him totally unfunny, like so many SNL alums from recent decades, especially Adam Sandler.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    1) No

2) Yes (not the band)
    Only on a prog forum would someone feel the need to clarify they were not talking about the band Yes.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Only on a prog forum would someone feel the need to clarify they were not talking about the band Yes.
    I was dishing some low-level snark! 😁

I was dishing some low-level snark! ��
    It's ok. I've been known to reply with Genesis when someone says Yes as an answer to something (but only with those who are aware of my musical taste otherwise they would get really confused really fast.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

It's ok. I've been known to reply with Genesis when someone says Yes as an answer to something (but only with those who are aware of my musical taste otherwise they would get really confused really fast.
    When I was attending Bible study groups at the church where I was music director, the group leader was discussing upcoming Bible studies and suggested the Book of Genesis as a topic, and asked us how we felt about that. I was sorely tempted to answer that I preferred Genesis before Peter Gabriel left, but didn't have the nerve. She's got a great sense of humor and appreciates mine as well, so it might have gone over.

And then there's this bit I've seen around the 'net, along these lines:

Q: "Who recorded I Can See for Miles?" A: "Yes"
    Q: "Who recorded I've Seen All Good People?" A: "Yes"
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    And then there's this bit I've seen around the 'net, along these lines:

Q: "Who recorded I Can See for Miles?" A: "Yes"
    Q: "Who recorded I've Seen All Good People?" A: "Yes"
    Similar to this updated version of the perennial “Who’s on First?”

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The first answer should say "who" not "Yes." Anyway, it reminds me of the cartoon that most of you have seen by now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicRock...weir/#lightbox

I was dishing some low-level snark! ��
    Yes you were.

The first answer should say "who" not "Yes." Anyway, it reminds me of the cartoon that most of you have seen by now.

Who's on first.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I thought this was going to be the Slappy Squirrel bit.

The Kids in the Hall did a hilarious deconstruction of the "Who's on First" bit:

"You're probably not used to that name because his grandfather was Chinese..."
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...