Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH NEWS (!!)

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Tickets purchased for the Chicago show at Reggie's on September 24th.
    You better drink that before Allan sees it.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

East and West Coast and Chicago. The rest of the country doesn't exist to these bleeping promoters!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You better drink that before Allan sees it.

Saw Allan and the guys Thursday night at the Rhythm Room in Phoenix. SRO crowd (although that's not saying much, given the size of the venue). Allan was having some major issues with his leg yet managed a stiff upper lip and was on stage for around 2 hours including encore. He had to take a break mid set, and collapsed while being helped off stage before returning for the encore. Donati and Haslip were tremendous support this evening, but that's to be expected given that Allan has always had stellar support for every performance I've seen of his since the Road Games tour came to Cleveland's Peabody Down Under in 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Saw Allan and the guys Thursday night at the Rhythm Room in Phoenix. SRO crowd (although that's not saying much, given the size of the venue). Allan was having some major issues with his leg yet managed a stiff upper lip and was on stage for around 2 hours including encore. He had to take a break mid set, and collapsed while being helped off stage before returning for the encore. Donati and Haslip were tremendous support this evening, but that's to be expected given that Allan has always had stellar support for every performance I've seen of his since the Road Games tour came to Cleveland's Peabody Down Under in 1983.
    "Collapsed" sounds pretty serious, was it more of a trip, stumble or his knee gave out? Also, what did they play and how was Allan's playing? Just curious since he's been out of commission foe awhile with some apparent health issues. Thank you.

Lost his balance and fell backwards while being assisted off the stage. The word 'collapse' doesn't necessarily imply he keeled over in a full-fledged cardiac arrest, for Christ's sake. But he was playing with apparent pain judging by his facial expression and his difficulties with his balance during his left foot pedal work. When he took his mid-set break he apologized to the audience for having to do so, saying "I'm suffering up here..." and at the end of the set, he thanked the audience for "putting up with me and me fucked up leg".

IMO his playing was as impeccable as I've ever seen (Road Games '83 and Atavachron '85 or '86 at Peabody's Down Under, Wardencylffe Tower (?) '89(?) at Ft Lauderdale Musician's Exchange, Sixteen Men of Tain(?) '12 at Rhythm Room in Phoenix).

You'll need to consult elsewhere for a set list, sorry. I don't bring a notepad with me to concerts and I prefer to be 'in the moment' for performances of this genre.
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 08-16-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Lost his balance and fell backwards while being assisted off the stage. The word 'collapse' doesn't necessarily imply he keeled over in a full-fledged cardiac arrest, for Christ's sake. But he was playing with apparent pain judging by his facial expression and his difficulties with his balance during his left foot pedal work. When he took his mid-set break he apologized to the audience for having to do so, saying "I'm suffering up here..." and at the end of the set, he thanked the audience for "putting up with me and me fucked up leg".

IMO his playing was as impeccable as I've ever seen (Road Games '83 and Atavachron '85 or '86 at Peabody's Down Under, Wardencylffe Tower (?) '89(?) at Ft Lauderdale Musician's Exchange, Sixteen Men of Tain(?) '12 at Rhythm Room in Phoenix).

You'll need to consult elsewhere for a set list, sorry. I don't bring a notepad with me to concerts and I prefer to be 'in the moment' for performances of this genre.
    You also sound like quite the drama queen, but thank you for your response Francis.

Ernie, does that mean I actually get to see you this decade if I go??? :-) Hoping to make it. Haven't seen Allan in a while- either since Nearfest or the last time we saw him up at Dirty Nellie's. Want to see if this is a 21 and over show. I may want to bring my 16 year old grandson to a memorable first concert.
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

Dang, hope the leg problem isn't as bad as it sounds ...in small part for selfish reasons, haven't caught him live for quite awhile and hope to hit a Northern CA show in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    You also sound like quite the drama queen, but thank you for your response Francis.
    And you're somewhat of a tool yourself, aren't you, Dave.

chalkpie
    And you're somewhat of a tool yourself, aren't you, Dave.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If somebody says someone "collapsed," it usually means they passed out. I think the other poster realized you might not mean that, and was just looking for a little clarification. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If somebody says someone "collapsed," it usually means they passed out. I think the other poster realized you might not mean that, and was just looking for a little clarification. Just sayin'.
    Fair enough. In this case, Definition "1" and not "4" applied.

verb (used without object), collapsed, collapsing.

1. to fall or cave in; crumble suddenly:
    "The roof collapsed and buried the crowd."

2. to be made so that sections or parts can be folded up, as for convenient storage:
    "This bridge table collapses."

3. to break down; come to nothing; fail:
    "Despite all their efforts the peace talks collapsed."

4. to fall unconscious or as if unconscious or physically depleted, as from a stroke, heart attack, disease, or exhaustion.

5. Pathology. a.to sink into extreme weakness.
    b.(of lungs) to come into an airless state.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Fair enough. In this case, Definition "1" and not "4" applied.

verb (used without object), collapsed, collapsing.

1. to fall or cave in; crumble suddenly:
    "The roof collapsed and buried the crowd."

2. to be made so that sections or parts can be folded up, as for convenient storage:
    "This bridge table collapses."

3. to break down; come to nothing; fail:
    "Despite all their efforts the peace talks collapsed."

4. to fall unconscious or as if unconscious or physically depleted, as from a stroke, heart attack, disease, or exhaustion.

5. Pathology. a.to sink into extreme weakness.
    b.(of lungs) to come into an airless state.
    "Allan Holdsworth suddenly crumbled."

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    But he was playing with apparent pain judging by his facial expression
    Sounds like every Holdsworth show I've attended.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Sounds like every Holdsworth show I've attended.
    Yeah, all guitarists look like that!

LOL. Seriously, though, I hope Allan feels better soon.

Very sorry to hear Allan has been having health problems. Does anyone know exactly what he has been dealing with as far as that goes?

I only ask out of concern, as I love his music and he seems like a nice guy. I hope he gets well soon.

"Allan Holdsworth suddenly exploded."

Perhaps this is not the correct thread (and if not, please pardon my presumptuousness), but would anyone be able to offer suggestions on where a newbie should go in Allan Holdsworth's back catalog?

So far I've only collected Sand and Hard Hat Area (both brilliant, imo), and would love to hear more of this solo stuff. I've also got Gazeuse! by Gong, which featured Holdsworth on guitar.
    Last edited by aith01; 08-17-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Perhaps this is not the correct thread (and if not, please pardon my presumptuousness), but would anyone be able to offer suggestions on where a newbie should go in Allan Holdsworth's back catalog?

So far I've only collected Sand and Hard Hat Area (both brilliant, imo), and would love to hear more of this solo stuff. I've also got Gazeuse! by Daevid Allen's Gong, which featured Holdsworth on guitar.
    I personally like Velvet Darkness for its raw intensity, though it is generally frowned upon by most Holdsworthians.

BTW, as an aside, Daevid Allen is not on Gazeuse
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I personally like Velvet Darkness for its raw intensity, though it is generally frowned upon by most Holdsworthians.

BTW, as an aside, Daevid Allen is not on Gazeuse
    Oh, huh. You're right, I misread the Wikipedia article when I looked it up. lol Oops... Daevid Allen's Gong was the space rock group, not the fusion one. My mistake. Thanks for clarifying for me. I'm correcting that in my original post now.

And thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

So far I've only collected Sand and Hard Hat Area (both brilliant, imo), and would love to hear more of this solo stuff. I've also got Gazeuse! by Gong, which featured Holdsworth on guitar.
    Road Games & Metal Fatigue are must haves for his solo discs; the first two Bruford albums, UK's first, Soft Machine's Bundles, Heavy Machinery with Johannson & Johannson is quite good too. For starters...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Road Games & Metal Fatigue are must haves for his solo discs; the first two Bruford albums, UK's first, Soft Machine's Bundles, Heavy Machinery with Johannson & Johannson is quite good too. For starters...
    Never could stomach the vocals on Road Games or Metal Fatigue, but the others you mention are stone cold essentials!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

My faves:
    I.O.U.
    Atavachron