Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH NEWS (!!)

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Funny, to me, Pasqua seemed intimidated by being in that band at the time, especially when listening to how "balls out" aggressive he sounds on the aforementioned Holdsworth/Pasqua stuff. He didn't sound bad with Tony, just kind of understated and overwhelmed. To me, at any rate.
    I also think it had something to do with his piano sound, it was a bit tiny somehow - and playing up against AH's fat guitarsound made it sound extra trembling.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I also think it had something to do with... trembling.
    That's what I'm saying.

Sorry, I have trouble resisting a good typo.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Last night was great, in my opinion. He's taking chances, and obviously having fun. His tone is a bit more edgy than recent stuff, to my ears--though still 100% recognizable Holdsworth Brown Sound, heh heh. Mr. Giant Bulge, did you catch Allan's "roadie" moment with the cymbal mic? That cracked me up, and it's totally in character for him--oh! look, the mic fell, I'll wait and see if someone fixes it...nope! Better go do it meself, then... Lol. How About "Play Devil Take the Hindmost!"--from some inebriate, and AH's response--"we played that already....you must be enjoying one of those Fiiiine IPA's they have out there, but don't worry it's all good!" Too funny.

Dug the keyboardist, never heard him before....did you catch his name? Beez, or something?

Never saw Virgil before....he slays, doesn't he?
    Yeah, I dug Virgil. I can't remember the keyboardist's name, but I wasn't into his playing. He felt very much like the weak link in the group to me. The fact that he was added onto the tour at the 12th hour might have something to do with them not being able to get someone really good there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    My fab 4 would be
    AH
    Husband
    Johnson
    Pasqua
    That's the perfect Holdsworth line-up for me as well. Well.... unless we want to talk FANTASY line-ups then how about
    Holdsworth
    Tony Williams
    Jaco
    Corea or Zawinul

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ok, I think I'm going to have to go to the Monday night at Iridium - after all, I can head over there after work, it's the least I can do for Allan.

Well, if we're dreaming I think the following combo would work well-

Holdsworth-gtr
    Percy Jones-bass
    David Sancious-keys and gtr
    Tony Williams-drums

Latest news from Moonjune.

It gives you the name of the keyboard-player: Dennis Hamm. Plus new concerts with Gary Husband and Jimmy Haslip.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Well, if we're dreaming I think the following combo would work well-

Holdsworth-gtr
    Percy Jones-bass
    David Sancious-keys and gtr
    Tony Williams-drums
    I always thought that David Sancious' "Just As I Thought" was as close to the Bruford-albums as he could get and not only because of Jeff Berlin's playing on a couple of tracks.

I've only seen Holdsworth once, and it was in a trio. Although I was mesmerized by the way he plays, AND really enjoyed the playing of the other two (Chad especially - I'm also a drummer), sometimes the improv got a little too heavy for me. I would totally lose "where's one" and the chordal underpinning Alan was supposed to be soloing against. THEY seemed to know where they were at (or one or two of them did, and led the way out ), but sometimes I got lost. On the video with Pasqua, they are a LOT more cohesive. I noticed the same tendency on "then", too. I think the soloist needs something to play against (otherwise terms like tension and release mean nothing), and when all three improvise, sometimes that sort of gets lost.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I would totally lose "where's one" and the chordal underpinning Alan was supposed to be soloing against. THEY seemed to know where they were at (or one or two of them did, and led the way out ), but sometimes I got lost. On the video with Pasqua, they are a LOT more cohesive. I noticed the same tendency on "then", too. I think the soloist needs something to play against (otherwise terms like tension and release mean nothing), and when all three improvise, sometimes that sort of gets lost.
    Well, playing with rhythms, like juxtaposing a different meter over the original one while keeping track of where the original one is in the form of the tune is not uncommon in interactive modern jazz playing... and even "the greats" get lost sometimes. When you're constantly going out on limbs, the chances of them breaking from time to time will increase. There's a video on YT of Corea, Colaiuta and Pattitucci where Vinnie messes up Chick (a fearless player with time himself) and Chick looks at him and starts mouthing the words, "where's one?"... then Vinnie hits a crash cymbal to say "it's here!" It's one of the many challenges jazz players like to indulge in... and though most of Holdsworth's material is "straight 8th" oriented, it's still very much in the interactive jazz vein.

I know what you're saying about him without keyboards though; his stuff uses a lot of dense chords with 5 or 6 notes in them and without a keyboard player to spell them out while Allan is soloing, it's up to the listener to imagine those chords being played, which can be tough even for seasoned musicians like us. Of the half dozen + times I've heard him live, the concert I enjoyed the most was him, Chad, Skuli Sveresson (or however you spell it) and Steve Hunt on keyboards. On Holdsy's studio albums, you almost always hear the chords behind the solos, whether it's a keyboard or Allan overdubbing them himself... that's how I prefer to hear his music live.

When there are no keyboards, it helps to have a good bass player who instinctively knows when to throw in a major or minor 3rd, or whatever, to give the listener a better sense of the percieved chordal background.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

According The unReal Allan Holdsworth Facebook-site there will be a book on Holdsworth this April:

We've decided on the cover for the second book to be published by Jazz In Britain (Jazz In Britain). We're aiming for a publication date of 15th April - the anniversary of Allan Holdsworth's passing. We believe it will be the first book on Allan and will cover all of his recordings up to 2020 and analyse all of his 1970s and 1980s British jazz radio sessions. It's looking really good so far; Ed Chang is a superb writer. There will also be a vinyl and downloadable album of previously unheard material from the early 1970s released simultaneously! We're very excited and hope you will be too. You could help us by indicating whether you're likely to buy this book in a comment or, simply, by liking this post as that will help us gauge how many copies to go for in the first print run. Keep watching this page!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    According The unReal Allan Holdsworth Facebook-site there will be a book on Holdsworth this April:
    And to coincide with the release of the book there will be a music release of The Ron Mathewson Tapes, Vol. 1 w/Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    And to coincide with the release of the book there will be a music release of The Ron Mathewson Tapes, Vol. 1 w/Allan.
    Yeah, noticed that too (posted it in the Canterbury-thread):

Sounds like a session, doesn't it. I think I recognize Allan speaking.

Last year Sebastiaan Cornelissen recorded a special version of Metal Fatigue for his new album Bevel Around The Edges.

^ Thanks for sharing! I really like the original song (and album), so this is cool to hear.

^^^That was beautiful!

Thx for sharing!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Nice tribute! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year Sebastiaan Cornelissen recorded a special version of Metal Fatigue for his new album Bevel Around The Edges.

Nice to mention is that singer Francesco Cottone also sang on the album Running Out Of Time by Susan Weinert and that CD was very much in the vein of Holdsworth's I.O.U. with Paul Williams. Here's a live-recording:

Pre-orders are available now: https://jazzinbritain.org/product/de...an-holdsworth/
    (also for The Ron Mathewson Tapes, Vol. 1)

The book will be sold through Wayside. A link for pre-orders should be coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    The book will be sold through Wayside. A link for pre-orders should be coming soon.

That's correct: Wayside for USA and Jazz In Brittain for Europe. This was the email-message Jazz In Brittain sent out:

A double historic first from
    Jazz In Britain Ltd.

Available to pre-order NOW and released simultaneously next month, 15th April 2020.

Audio:
    Holdsworth, Warleigh, Mathewson, Spring
    Warleigh Manor: The Ron Mathewson Tapes vol.1
    JIB-01-S-CD / JIB-01-S-DL
    Available on CD and download.
    U.S. customers can pre-order the CD from Waysidemusic.com later this week. Links will be posted as soon as we have them.
    Rest Of The World customers pre-order the CD here:
    https://jazzinbritain.org/…/warleigh...athews…/
    Pre-order the download here: https://jazzinbritain1.bandcamp.com/...-the-ro…

Warleigh Manor contains a truly remarkable and previously unheard private session by four titans of British Jazz. Featuring an extended, predominantly free jazz suite across two distinct parts, it lay forgotten in a large box full of tapes for at least 40 years. The music can perhaps be best described as the sound of extraordinary telekinesis between players at the height of their considerable powers.The exact details of the session are sadly lost in time. The only facts we know for certain are the lineup, and that it was recorded at Ray Warleigh’s home studio in Hammersmith, London (hence the title). Although the quartet performed in London on a number of occasions in '79-'80 including at least two shows staged by the Jazz Centre Society at the Half Moon, until now it had been thought that they never recorded anything together. The tape this recording was taken from represents a tiny part of the huge audio archive kindly donated to Jazz In Britain by the legendary bassist Ron Mathewson. Look out for more exciting future volumes.

Book:
    Ed Chang
    Devil Take The Hindmost: The Otherworldly Music Of Allan Holdsworth
    ISBN 978-1-9163206-1-1
    U.S. customers can pre-order the book from Waysidemusic.com later this week.
    Rest Of The World customers pre-order the book here:
    https://jazzinbritain.org/…/devil-ta...the-ot…/

Devil Takes The Hindmost represents the first publication dedicated to the career of the British pioneering guitar virtuoso Allan Holdsworth. Jazz In Britain have adapted author Ed Chang’s celebrated website ‘A Thread of Lunacy - Appreciation and Analysis of the Otherworldly Music of Allan Holdsworth’ for the printed page, expanded and updated from the original blog, and featuring rarely seen pictures of Allan from throughout his illustrious life. The book charts the ups-and-downs of Holdsworth’s career, and leads the reader through every recording Allan is known to have made with extraordinary attention to detail. The book also offers an in-depth analysis of his gear down the years, as well as the most comprehensive discography yet assembled. Spanning 412 information-packed pages, it is an absolutely essential item for fans of Allan, British jazz, and guitar lovers worldwide.

Apologies to anyone who tried to order yesterday. We had e-commerce issues, now resolved. Many thanks for your patience.

Sebastiaan is working on a lager piece of work, called The Holdsworth Reinterpretations. It contains two titles right now. I wonder if this gets a limited CD-edition too.
    https://sebastiaancornelissen.bandca...nterpretations

ALLAN HOLDSWORTH NEWS (!!)

"Devil Take the Hindmost: The Otherworldly Music of Allan Holdsworth", by Ed Chang

U.S. Pre-Orders: [http://www.waysidemusic.com/…/Devil-...c5UhnHQEwOVJsQ)

Other Regions: [https://jazzinbritain.org/…/devil-ta...P0tQmNGBY8otU)

https://vimeo.com/403438628

Frankfurt 1986 concert to be released via Manifesto Records in May.