Page 314 of 316 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316 LastLast
Results 7,826 to 7,850 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    It is no coincidence that this world's level of insane, senseless murder and devaluation of life is at its lowest point since this type of "entertainment" has become more and more popular since the 1950s. I do not just 'go along with the crowd' on this one, sorry.
    Actually, it's not. Check the statistics.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    mysterious traveler ; "do I think that "censorship" is necessary? How bout just some common 'sense citizenship' instead of the 'heroin sells so I'll push it' mentality? "

In a perfect world this would apply, in the real world , nope. Theres always someone who will do anything for a quick buck.
    that is the sad state of this world and precisely why it will come to its end
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    It is clearly glorified, the whole plot is there is a day or some time period where you get free reign to kill anyone you want (ie undesirables, people you want eliminated from 'Murica') without punishment or repercussion. Imo, that is encouragement because its a purposeful intentional appeal to a certain segment of society (beyond the purely run of the mill morons) who look for and crave any signal, confirmation, and excuse to validate their idiotic belief system. In an atmosphere of a leadership that is trying to "eliminate" certain segments of society, it's not a big leap to connect the dots.
    haven't seen all the movies but seems pretty clear as you are watching that the purge is not a good thing and its reasons for existence in the film is not actually for a release but for the government to kill poor people. not surprised that right wing idiots might glom onto it but it seemed to come from a fairly left wing viewpoint of the government as I viewed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    You and me both <high 5>
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Hey Klonk......It would appear that we are also lemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Hey Klonk......It would appear that we are also lemmings.
    and damn proud of it! In celebration I may just watch Martyrs or Frontiers tonight again and then finish it off with an hour of Grand Theft Auto...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

and damn proud of it! In celebration I may just watch Martyrs or Frontiers tonight again and then finish it off with an hour of Grand Theft Auto...
    The two BEST French horror movies of all time!

I don't think MT was referring to everyone who watches "The Purge" movies as lemmings. That being said, I can't really understand how one can derive enjoyment from watching things like that.

This point of view probably won't be popular, but... There's a trend in all entertainment (not just film) that promotes a cheapening of human life. It has been happening for a while, but it's getting more and more brazen all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    haven't seen all the movies but seems pretty clear as you are watching that the purge is not a good thing and its reasons for existence in the film is not actually for a release but for the government to kill poor people. not surprised that right wing idiots might glom onto it but it seemed to come from a fairly left wing viewpoint of the government as I viewed it.
    My viewpoint comes from my position as a human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    The two BEST French horror movies of all time!
    I thought High Tensionwas great too...up until the ending plot twist kinda ruined it for me.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I don't think MT was referring to everyone who watches "The Purge" movies as lemmings. That being said, I can't really understand how one can derive enjoyment from watching things like that.

This point of view probably won't be popular, but... There's a trend in all entertainment (not just film) that promotes a cheapening of human life. It has been happening for a while, but it's getting more and more brazen all the time.
    indeed, a sad truth
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Perhaps it’s a byproduct of population densities.

MT I know you’re all apocalyptic because of your JW beliefs but people have been predicting the end since, well, the beginning and it ain’t happened yet. Prepare to be disappointed.

actually, it is those afflicted with 'ostrich syndrome' who will have the biggest shock coming

answer these 2 questions for yourself

1. when have we as a civilization ever had the arsenal capable of creating a nuclear winter? couple that with the fact that others are now developing nuclear weapons and no one can really stop them

2. when have we as a civilization ever had our top scientists warning us that the rate of environmental destruction and species extinction at present creates a 'point of no return' within a human lifespan?

still want to play ostrich?

I thought High Tensionwas great too...up until the ending plot twist kinda ruined it for me.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Perhaps it’s a byproduct of population densities.

MT I know you’re all apocalyptic because of your JW beliefs but people have been predicting the end since, well, the beginning and it ain’t happened yet. Prepare to be disappointed.
    Agreed. It all boils down to there be to many people vying for a fixed set of resources and stepping all over each other in the process. Keeping it movie related, Soylent Green. The most prominent , to me anyway Hollywood overpopulation flics. Theres plenty of films about both overpopulation , and nuclear threats. Some greats , Dr Strangelove , et Charlton Heston mined the genre in his later carreer , the all ready sited Soylent Green , and the memorable Planet Of The Apes , and not forgetting The Omega Man. Plenty of canidates for some good lists of favorites.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    actually, it is those afflicted with 'ostrich syndrome' who will have the biggest shock coming

answer these 2 questions for yourself

1. when have we as a civilization ever had the arsenal capable of creating a nuclear winter? couple that with the fact that others are now developing nuclear weapons and no one can really stop them

2. when have we as a civilization ever had our top scientists warning us that the rate of environmental destruction and species extinction at present creates a 'point of no return' within a human lifespan?

still want to play ostrich?
    Please take the religion/politics elsewhere. I come to this thread to read about movies.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Please take the religion/politics elsewhere. I come to this thread to read about movies.

Okay, I hear you.

Still, we seem to have more movies about superheroes saving the world from disasters, or supervillains causing world disasters, or aliens or super diseases wreaking havoc. Apocalypse is in the air. I'm not fond of the genre, myself. There's too much good in people, and too many unsung heroes that need singing of.

Those are only political and religious topics for those who choose to view them through those lenses. Some of us see them as much broader moral issues. But, trying to make that case before got me banned. So, I'm just sayin' this one time.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Those are only political and religious topics for those who choose to view them through those lenses. Some of us see them as much broader moral issues. But, trying to make that case before got me banned. So, I'm just sayin' this one time.

^I for the most part agree with that but in this case a specific religion was mentioned and then the member who apparently holds that religion's beliefs responded by getting on his religious soapbox. Even if what he said is valid as a broader moral issue in this case it came across, at least to me, as specifically religious.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    My viewpoint comes from my position as a human being.
    so a bad thing happens in a movie and it is automatically glorifying it? you must be a joy to go to the movies with.

Speaking of horror movies: The 100 Best Horror Films

I didn't have a problem with the list for the most part. I didn't agree with most of the movies numbered 20 thru 11, but at least the top ten is hard to argue with.

What would be on your list of top ten horror movies?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    so a bad thing happens in a movie and it is automatically glorifying it? you must be a joy to go to the movies with.
    That's quite a misstatement of my very detailed and specificly stated position on these particular movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    What would be on your list of top ten horror movies?
    It might include one of their top ten, "The Exorcist." Some of those aren't even horror, IMO. They are slasher flicks.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"