Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Magma news

I couldn't possibly care less about the label its on or the spines on the cases. The music is still being produced by Magma; that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I couldn't possibly care less about the label its on or the spines on the cases. The music is still being produced by Magma; that's all that matters.
    I think you need to get your priorities straight, young man.

^^^^^

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I just realized my Magma collection doesn't match as it is. All of the studios up to KA are red and black; the rest (including the last two studios) are black with white stripes. Oh the humanity! Won't somebody think of the children?!

If you pick up Mythes et Legendes, you will see what an utter betrayal THAT release is.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    If you pick up Mythes et Legendes, you will see what an utter betrayal THAT release is.
    ¿Qué?

What about this live box set?
    Any date on that?
    I bought the studio one a few hrs after wayside announced it. It was a Weds night and suddenly there was a new email in my inbox!
    Best christmas present to myself ever!

Got my copy of Riah Sahiltaahk... this hardly qualifies as a version for "orchestra and choir", as claimed on the front cover. The mix is light on electric instruments (no Rhodes, only acoustic piano & vibes, very little guitar). The vocal parts are slightly more elaborate than the Epok V version, there are a few changes here and there which make this "black and white" (à la Stravinsky's Noces) jazzy version worth hearing. The "atonal" horn arrangements from the 1971 studio version have been removed (at the RIO festival, Vander unfairly described them as "pompous"). The rock'n'roll version from the Triton DVD remains my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That would be You, which apparently is the one and only Magma recording that Christian doesn't either play or sing on.
    The worst song on the Enneade comp and arguably the worst song Magma ever produced.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Got my copy of Riah Sahiltaahk... this hardly qualifies as a version for "orchestra and choir", as claimed on the front cover. The mix is light on electric instruments (no Rhodes, only acoustic piano & vibes, very little guitar). The vocal parts are slightly more elaborate than the Epok V version, there are a few changes here and there which make this "black and white" (à la Stravinsky's Noces) jazzy version worth hearing. The "atonal" horn arrangements from the 1971 studio version have been removed (at the RIO festival, Vander unfairly described them as "pompous"). The rock'n'roll version from the Triton DVD remains my favourite.
    Pompous? Has Vander gone full Ian Anderson on us?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The worst song on the Enneade comp and arguably the worst song Magma ever produced.
    I like You better than Call From The Dark (Ooh Ooh Baby) and Otis. The version on the Bobino 81 DVD is better than the Enneade version, though.

I didn't realize there were other songs on Enneade. Most of the music is "art music", not really what call "songs" so much as "pieces" or "compositions". But it is kinda weird to have this collection of avant garde music, and the band that all these bands are supposedly paying homage to, turns in a (as far as I'm concerned, very good) pop song.

BTW, speaking of Bobino 81, I was doing some window shopping on the Wayside site the other day, and I noticed Steve F's comment about the CD edition, "If you see God while listening to this, you need to see a doctor!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I like You better than Call From The Dark (Ooh Ooh Baby) and Otis. The version on the Bobino 81 DVD is better than the Enneade version, though.

I didn't realize there were other songs on Enneade. Most of the music is "art music", not really what call "songs" so much as "pieces" or "compositions". But it is kinda weird to have this collection of avant garde music, and the band that all these bands are supposedly paying homage to, turns in a (as far as I'm concerned, very good) pop song.
    "Ooh Baby" isn't exactly brilliant either, I'l give you that. But I liked "Otis" from the first time I heard it, which happened to be before I ever heard another note of Magma and certainly didn't realize their connection to the 'progressive' rock movement. The thing which offputs me with "Hey You" is essentially that Chubby Checker'ish humming of the title along to those clunky 1983 synth-vs-elpiano chords - I just couldn't and can't come around to it.

The Enneade comp has some great pieces for sure; the Troll/Altmayer ("Break-up Dance") is actually the only truly good thing on his album (which takes the 'white soul-zeuhl' antic to its logical final stage and into Manilow-waters), while the Niggurath, Eskaton, Eider S, Paga and Seffer works stand out. Glad I got it when I did, and I wish I'd kept those other two Musea vinyl comps as well (etc. the one with Exvitae, Virgule IV and Post Image on it).
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Pompous? Has Vander gone full Ian Anderson on us?
    tropicthunder.JPG

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Is this the only song on the album/EP?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    LOL

I have to wait for Steve F to get it in, in November. But Stella sort of said it is not full choir, and I am not sure that is what she meant. I love the band, but this marketing pattern they are using, of shorter songs per disc, is sort of troubling to me. FT was brief at 32 minutes, and this and Axiom will be briefer. They could have put them both on one disc and had room for more. Do not know costs yet, too.

I love You, but it is weird Magma for sure, what with English (!) lyrics! PS. The pic is for the wrong record here...
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    But Stella sort of said it is not full choir, and I am not sure that is what she meant.
    There are more vocal lines than in the live version, but it's not an Carmëhntehtt Burana extravaganza.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Is this the only song on the album/EP?
    Yes. A great one too.

They could have put them both on one disc and had room for more.
    There might be a slight artistic concern there. This would have been a compilation, not an album.

Well, now there are reports that Slag Tanz will remain Slag Tanz and not be called Axiom or Axium...
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Well, now there are reports that Slag Tanz will remain Slag Tanz and not be called Axiom or Axium...
    I confirm : Slag Tanz is done, this is the album title, and it should be released in january, "if all goes well" (Stella dixit).

Got my copy of Riah Sahiltaahk... this hardly qualifies as a version for "orchestra and choir", as claimed on the front cover. The mix is light on electric instruments (no Rhodes, only acoustic piano & vibes, very little guitar).
    Have they attached the "Klaus Kombalad" extension to this? I somehow wish they had; that's one of my fave Magma tunes overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Have they attached the "Klaus Kombalad" extension to this?
    No, this theme is still a short coda, but it has lyrics now. No happy end for Mr Sahiltaahk.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 09-25-2014 at 12:17 PM.

No, this theme is still a short coda, but it has lyrics now. No happy end for Mr Sahiltaahk.
    So does this mean the "Klaus Kombalad" melody IS a part of the new "Riah Sahiltaahk"?

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    So does this mean the "Klaus Kombalad" melody IS a part of the new "Riah Sahiltaahk"?
    Oui.

http://www.jazzvillagemusic.com/#/al...laylists&id=51
    Last edited by unclemeat; 09-27-2014 at 12:40 PM.

I noticed that all the studio albums will be reissued on vinyl. Do you think the sound will be better than original vinyls? Did they use high quality masters?

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

it's now available for preorder from us if you are interested

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Thank you.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.